[Skip to content]


Universal Credit

From 5 July 2017 Dudley became a full service Universal Credit area. This means that if you make a new claim for benefits or if you have a change in circumstances after this date you will be required to claim Universal Credit.

For more information contact your local Jobcentre or visit: www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support


You should apply for any other benefit separately.

A new way to manage your payments

The way that people claim and manage Universal Credit will be new.

The changes include:

  • most people will claim Universal Credit on line

  • Universal Credit will be paid directly into your bank account

  • you’ll get one monthly payment for your whole household

  • any help you get with your rent (Housing Benefit) will be included in your payment  - you’ll have to pay your landlord yourself

One of the biggest changes with Universal Credit is the way Housing Benefit is paid. If you qualify for Housing Benefit this will be paid direct to you and you will need to pay your landlord yourself.

Please see the benefits page for further information and recent issues of Home Affairs.

Benefit cap - the Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016)

The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduces some changes to the benefit cap.  These changes, which will take effect in August 2016, include changes to the benefit cap levels to £23,000 a year for couples with or without children and lone parents and £15,410 for single people without children in Greater London and £20,000 and £13,400 respectively for those groups elsewhere in Great Britain.  They also include additional exemptions for recipients of Guardian’s Allowance, Carer’s Allowance and Universal Credit claimants who receive payments towards carer’s costs.

For more information about the benefit cap changes please visit www.Gov.UK/benefit-cap