[Skip to content]


Make an application for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

Who can apply

You can make an application for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction if you live in the Dudley borough and you or your partner:

  • Pay rent to Dudley Council, a social landlord (Housing Association) or a private landlord

  • Pay Council Tax to Dudley Council

  • Have people living with you on a low income or unemployed (you may be able to receive Alternative Maximum Council Tax Reduction only)

If you think you may be entitled to apply for Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction, you can check to see if you qualify by using the  gov.uk Benefits Adviser before making a claim.

If you think you are eligible then please apply as soon as possible, if you delay, you may lose out on benefit. 

There are many ways to apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction:

If you are claiming other government benefits, you can claim Housing Benefit (but not Council Tax Reduction)

  • Together with a claim for Pension Credit

  • Together with a claim for Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance

For more information on first two methods of claiming, see Claiming Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction with your claim for Pension Credit, Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance

Alternatively you can claim direct to your local Council. Dudley Council have a number of easy ways to help you make a claim.  You can apply in any of the following ways:


Online Benefit Application

Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction online

It is a quicker, easier and more convenient way to apply for benefit.

If you do not have internet access yourself, please note that there is public access to internet computers within Dudley Council Plus and Dudley Libraries.

Please note: If you are helping someone else to apply they must be with you at the time the application is made.

Over the telephone with one of our Benefits Advisors

If you would like to apply over the telephone, please contact Benefits Services at customers.benefits@dudley.gov.uk or call 0300 555 8100. A member of staff will book an appointment for you and advise you what information to have available during the interview. 

A benefits advisor will telephone you at the agreed convenient time to complete an application form and you will be told what information (proof) will be required in support of your claim. Please note these calls take approximately 40 minutes.

The proof requested during the telephone interview must be:

Posted to:

Benefits Services, Dudley Council, Council House, Dudley, DY1 1HF.


Taken to:

Dudley Council Plus, 259 Castle Street, Dudley, DY1 1LQ.  If it is busy and you would prefer not to wait in a queue you can post your documents in the secure post box located at Dudley Council Plus and we will return your documents to you.

With an advisor (in person) at one of our Offices

If you would like to apply (in person) at one of our offices, please see our opening hours

We can help you complete your claim form at Dudley Council Plus. Please email us at customers.benefits@dudley.gov.uk or call 0300 555 8100 to arrange an appointment. Appointments can take approximately 1 hour.