[Skip to content]

Dudley MBC
Search our Site
.

Mary Stevens Park in Stourbridge

History

CombinedMScropped
© Crown Copyright and database right [2011]. Ordnance Survey [100019566].

Bought by Ernest Stevens in an auction at The Talbot Hotel in July 1929, he presented the park to Stourbridge Council later that same year.  During the 1920's the park had been a school. 

The park was opened by Ernest Stevens on 6th April 1931 and named after his late wife, Mary, who had died in 1925.  There are various constraints upon the park due to the nature of the Trust set up to look after the bequest, one of these prohibiting the playing of ball games upon a Sunday.

This Park also has connections to royalty.  Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the park on the 23rd April 1957 and drove down the main drive, hence the naming of Queen's Drive.  To commemorate the visit a stone trough has been placed at the top of the drive. 

The park has finely decorated, ornate, wrought iron gates at the main entrance, these are grade two listed and a predominant visual feature.

Heritage Lottery Fund

Mary Stevens Park Band Stand
Mary Stevens Park Band Stand

Dudley Council is in the process of submitting a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund, which if successful will enable us to undertake £2.6m of restoration and development work at Mary Stevens Park in Stourbridge.

:: more on heritage lottery fund bid

Description

The park is 11 hectares and has extensive recreational facilities, including basketball, tennis, golf and bowls along with many areas of managed flower beds and grass over it's sweeping landscape.

The park has large areas of open flat grass, ideal for team games, along with smaller shaded and un-shaded areas perfect for picnics and leisure activities.

A large lake and water feature is a predominant focus within the park. Stourbridge Model Boat Club have a permit for using the lake, otherwise there is no boating or fishing is allowed.

The park offers a selection of managed pathways, making walking an optimal choice, for all individuals within the community.

Facilities

Mary Stevens Park Lake
Mary Stevens Park Lake
  • Tennis courts x 3

  • Crown green bowls-charges apply

  • Toilets including disabled facility

  • Cricket Strip-charges apply

  • Children’s Play Area

  • Basketball court

  • Picnic Benches

  • Formal bedding displays

  • Large areas of flat managed grass

  • Croquet (charges apply)

  • Golf Putting (charges apply)

  • Water feature, where children can play safely

  • Managed path ways

  • Park Physical Activity Activators

  • Car Park

There are no ball games allowed in the park on a Sunday due to the Covenant by which the Park was donated to the people of the Borough.

Friends of Mary Stevens Park

Mary Stevens Park Play area
Mary Stevens Park Play area

Mary Stevens Park has an active Friends Group Friends of Mary Stevens Park. The group was formally established when members of the local community volunteered to start discussions on ways of improving and regenerating the park to its full potential and encourage increased public use. The group are always recruiting new members, to assist with future plans and events.

 

 

Stourbridge War Memorial

Mary Stevens Park War memorial
Mary Stevens Park War memorial

The War Memorial was financed by public subscription in memory of those who fell in the First World War and was erected outside the public library in 1923. It was designed by Ernest Pickford and unveiled by the Earl of Coventry on 16 February 1923. It was later moved to its present position in Mary Stevens Park in the 1960's.

 

Contact Details

  • Name Parks Development Team
  • Address Directorate of the Urban Environment, Lister Road Depot, Lister Road, Dudley, west Midlands, DY2 8JW
  • Telephone 01384 816991
  • Opening Hours Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays