[Skip to content]


Organising an Event on the Highway

Any event on the public highway involves a significant amount of risk. If you are in any doubt about the safety of your event, do not hold it! The number one priority for event organisers must be to minimise the risk to participants and public safety. As well as the possible danger to people taking part and other road users, you also need to think about the inconvenience you may cause for pedestrians and traffic.

Generally the police do not support an event that takes place on the highway due to the inherent dangers to public safety. the police may, however, make contingency plans to deal with any potential public safety issues as a result of your event taking place, and also take any action deemed necessary on the day of the event to resolve any public disorder issues that occur. You also need to be aware that there may be a charge for emergency services or local authority resources, should they be required.

Any safety concerns and advice given to event organisers will be documents. If there is an incident resulting in court / public enquiry proceedings, we have an obligation to notify any investigating authority about the safety advice given to you about your event.

Road Closures

For events that require Road Closure Orders, 3 months notice will be required. You should note, however, that only closures of minor roads or streets can generally be considered, and there can be a cost incurred in obtaining and advertising the requisite orders. Neither the police nor the local authority are any longer able to provide 'rolling' road closures for parades, marches and processions.

Temporary Signage

All temporary signing on the highway will be to Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual and the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991. All signing will require specific approval of the Highway Authority.

How to apply

You can notify the Council that you are organising an Event on the Highway by any of the following means:

  • Please complete the Highway Event Notification form, Highway Event Power Supply, Highway Event Risk Assessment, which are available at the bottom of this page.

  • Once you have completed the form, please use this link to upload the completed form.

  • Download the application form at the bottom of this page. You can send us a completed and signed application form or by bringing it to us at the office address below.

  • Contacting us in writing, telephone or email to request the forms to be sent to you.

Report a Problem

If you have attended an event in the borough at which you have encountered a problem, please inform us using the contact details below.

Contact Details

  • Name Traffic and Road Safety
  • Address Place Directorate, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HL
  • Telephone 01384 814469
  • Opening Hours Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, Please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays