A Strategy for Dudley's canals was adopted in 1999 and written in partnership with British Waterways as a planned response to the regeneration and improvement needs of the canal network across the borough. Listed within are key objectives of the position statement:
- To raise awareness, set standards and improve access for users;
- To safeguard and attract employment;
- To promote renewal and investment;
- To protect and improve the canal environment; and
- To identify priorities for implementation.
Key corridor studies are provided for the Birmingham Canal, Dudley Canal, Pensnett Canal and Stourbridge Canal. Specific policies to canals are contained in the adopted Dudley Borough Development Strategy (DBDS) (Policy S25) and in the Black Country Core Strategy (Policy ENV 4).
The Strategy is available to download below, in two parts.