Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Health and Safety in business

Health and safety affects people and businesses throughout the Borough and beyond. It is a part of our lives in many different ways. These pages are mainly concerned about health and safety in businesses in the Borough.

The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 itself does not define either 'health' or 'safety' but it does place a wide variety of duties on employers, the self-employed, employees and visitors, contractors and guests.

How do I make a complaint about health and safety?

The Council does not deal with all health and safety matters, the Health and Safety Executive deal with certain workplaces. If the matter is for HSE please contact them.

If the matter is for Local Authority enforcement then please use our online Health & Safety form. We treat complaints very seriously and sensitively, particularly where sub-standard or poor work conditions are notified.

Need business advice?

If you're thinking about setting up a new business or already have a business and are just looking for information on health and safety please look at our web pages or have a look at the government's online information and the Health and Safety Executive's websites. The Council is also offering support through Dudley Means Business. The Business Link startup advice is also very useful if you're starting up a new business.

The Health and Safety Executive's Health and Safety Made Simple guidance is a really good starting point too.

In addition you can request advice from us using our Health & Safety form.

The newly formed Office for Product Safety & Standards (OPS&S), part of the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, supersedes the former Regulatory Delivery directorate, and will work with local authorities and others to take forward its responsibilities, including Primary Authority and Better Business for All. The office has been created to provide national capacity on product safety.

Further details are available via their newsletter.

Sunbed Safety Campaign

If you are a business, you can now tell us about your health and safety information via the Health and Safety Business Contact Form.

The law affecting premises using sunbeds and artificial tanning equipment changed on the 8th April 2011.

Please note that it is illegal for people under 18 to use a sunbed.

Find out more before you visit or if you have a sunbed in your business.

Gas safety in commercial kitchens

Ensuring your gas appliances are installed and maintained by a competent person is really important. As part of our service plan (bottom the page) our food safety inspectors are currently leaving a letter with restaurants and takeaway businesses advising them on gas safety in their kitchen.

We are also following up any serious problems with enforcement action, where necessary. If you want to know more about gas safety and what we're doing, visit our gas safety pages or click on the picture below.

Change to Notifying Injuries

As of 6 April 2012, the over-three-day accident and injury reporting requirement has changed. The trigger point has increased from over three days’ to over seven days’ incapacitation (not counting the day on which the accident happened). More information on the accident/injury webpage.

Licences and Registrations

The Council also issues a number of licences and registrations to protect the health, safety and welfare of employees and members of the public. These include:

If you have problem with a registered premises please contact us.

Health & safety enforcement

Enforcement of the law is split between the Council and the Health and Safety Executive. In general, all non-industrial premises, offices, shops, warehouses and places used for leisure activities and worship are enforced by the Council. The Council follow the Enforcement Policy and Charter when taking enforcement action.

We have also signed up to the Government's "Enforcement Concordat" and the Regulators Compliance Code which sets out principles of good practice in regulatory and enforcement activity.

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ

Telephone 0300 555 2345 Monday to Friday, 08:45 - 17:00 closed weekends and Bank Holidays

Contact General Advice and Complaints Form