A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a dwelling where three or more people forming two or more households share a facility, like a toilet, bathroom or kitchen. Certain types of properties converted into self-contained flats also qualify as a HMO.
All HMOs that have five or more people in them must be licensed by the local authority. There is a fee for the licensing of each HMO.
The current licence fee is £775 for a property consisting of up to 7 units, for any properties above 7 units there will be an additional £25 fee per additional unit. The council is responsible for maintaining a licensing scheme for properties of this type, so if your property fits the criteria please contact us.
With your application you must also provide:
• the appropriate licence fee
• a floor plan of the property indicating room sizes, location of the bathroom, toilet and kitchen facilities plus the position of smoke alarms, emergency lighting units and fire doors
• a copy of the current gas safety certificate, (if the property has a gas supply),which must be renewed annually. Any application received without this certificate will be invalid. Failure to provide an appropriate gas safety certificate within 7 days of request may result either in legal proceedings or a refused application. The case may also be referred to the Health and Safety Executive.
Any application received without these items will not be valid.
If available, you should also provide:
- a valid electrical test certificate
- a copy of the fire alarm test certificate
- a copy of the emergency lighting test certificate
- a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate, if one is required for the property.
- a portable appliance test certificate for any electrical equipment you supply as part of the tenancy.
- a declaration that all upholstered furniture supplied complies with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988
Please send completed Licence Application Form to Dudley MBC, Housing Enforcement Team, Harbour Buildings, Waterfront West, Brierley Hill DY5 1LN.
An invoice will be raised for the application fee, once submitted application forms are received by the department.
See below for further guidance:-
A list of current HMOs licensed by Dudley MBC can be found Public Register of HMO Licenses