We work towards ensuring landlords meet their legal obligations within Dudley borough.
Privately Rented Accommodation
If you are a landlord, you are required to maintain your rental accommodation to certain legal standards. If we discover that there are problems at a property and insufficient action has been taken, without reasonable excuse, then consideration will be given to formal action. This may include the service of a legal notice, for which a charge may be made. Further action may include financial penalty, prosecution and/or works in default of the notice.
Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)
A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a dwelling where three or more people forming two or more households share a facility, like a toilet, bathroom or kitchen. Certain types of properties converted into self-contained flats also qualify as a HMO.
All HMOs that have five or more people in them must be licensed by the local authority. There is a fee for the licensing of each HMO.
Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) register
The HMO register below contains the list of all current licensed properties.
The Housing & Planning Act 2016 provides new powers which permit local housing authorities to seek banning orders where landlords or property agents have been convicted of a banning order offence. Dudley MBC have adopted the Banning Order Policy as provided below.
With your application you must also provide:
- a floor plan of the property indicating room sizes, location of the bathroom, toilet and kitchen facilities plus the position of smoke alarms, emergency lighting units and fire doors
Any application received without this item will not be valid.
If available, you should also provide:
- a copy of the current gas safety certificate, (if the property has a gas supply), which must be renewed annually. Any application received without this certificate will be invalid.
- a valid electrical test certificate
- a copy of the fire alarm test certificate
- a copy of the emergency lighting test certificate
- a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate, if one is required for the property.
- a portable appliance test certificate for any electrical equipment you supply as part of the tenancy.
- a declaration that all upholstered furniture supplied complies with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988
Please send completed Licence Application Form to Dudley MBC, Housing Enforcement Team, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley DY1 1HL.
An invoice will be raised for the application fee, once submitted application forms are received by the department.
A guide for Landlords and Managers
For further information, please contact Dudley Council Plus.
Telephone: 0300 555 2345
Opening hours: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
The office is closed at weekends and on bank holidays.