High Court grants order banning street racing in the Black Country
An interim injunction banning ‘street racing’, also known as ‘car cruising’, is in force in the Black Country.
It forbids anyone who is a driver, rider or passenger in or on a motor vehicle to participate between the hours of 3pm and 7am in a gathering of two or more persons within the Black Country area at which some of those present engage in motor racing or motor stunts or other dangerous or obstructive driving.
For the purposes of the injunction, stunts are defined as driving manoeuvres often undertaken at such gatherings including but not limited to:
- “Burnouts” – causing a vehicle to destroy its tyres by applying power to the drive wheels while braking so as to remain in place while the wheels revolve at speed
- “Donuts/Donutting” – causing a vehicle to rotate around a fixed point (normally the front axle) while not moving-off causing noise, smoke and tyre marks to be created
- “Drifting” – turning by placing the vehicle in a skid so that most sideways motion is due to the skid not any significant steering input
- “Undertaking” – Passing a vehicle on its nearside so as to overtake in circumstances not permitted by the Highway Code.
The Injunction has a Power of Arrest attached to it which gives the police the power to arrest anyone who breaches it.
Breach of an injunction is a contempt to court and if proved the court has the power to impose a sentence of imprisonment, a fine, or an order seizing a person’s assets.
The Black Country Area includes all of the Boroughs of Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall.
Full details of the interim injunction, including evidence presented to the High Court, the Sealed Order, power of arrest and other supporting documentation such as a map showing the Black Country area, can be found in the downloads section of this page.
Incidents of street racing should be reported via email@example.com or to West Midlands Police on 101. In an emergency, always dial 999.
At a case management hearing on Wednesday 4 October 2023, the High Court allowed the interim injunction to continue, with Her Honour Judge Kelly ordering that a further review hearing be held on 20 December 2023 with a final hearing on 27 and 28 February, 2024.
- 1980059 - Sealed Wolverhampton CC v PU Interim Injunction v3 to include D5 and D6 4 Oct 2023 (12/10/2023)
- 1980143 - Amended Power of Arrest amended 04 10 23 (12/10/2023)
- 1975516 - Order (re Persons Unknown) Hearing of 4 October 2023 (12/10/2023)
- 1980055 - Sealed Amended Part 8 Claim Form 6 10 23 (12/10/2023)
- 1980057 - Sealed Plan A 9 October 2023 (12/10/2023)
- 1980056 - Car Cruise 2022 Part 8 Amended Particulars of Claim v3 Oct23 (12/10/2023)
- 1980127 - Schedule A to Injunction Index to injunction order 19 May 2023 amended 4 October 2023 (12/10/2023)
- Bundle for Car Cruising Injunction Review Hearing 4 October 2023 (28/09/23)
- Notice of Hearing 04 October 2023 (09/08/23)
- Notice of Hearing Case Management Conference 10 November 2023 (21/07/23)
- 12th and 13th Witness Statements of Paul Brown (16/06/23)
- Amended Particulars of Claim June 2023 (15/06/2023)
- Part 8 Claim form amended June 2023 pages 1-2 of 3 (15/06/2023)
- Part 8 Claim form amended June 2023 page 3 of 3 (15/06/2023)
- Amended Power of Arrest (Amended 19 May 2023; Sealed 23 May 2023) (23 May 2023)
- Amended Injunction Order 19 May 2023 (Sealed 23 May 2023) (23/05/2023)
- Combined Directions Order 19 May 2023 (Sealed 23 May 2023) (23/05/2023)
- Clearer Copy of Plan A for injunction (WCC & Ors v Persons Unknown KB-2022-BHM-000188) (23/05/2023)
- 11th Witness Statement of Paul Brown (17/05/2023)
- Exhibit PB11A (17/05/2023)
- Hearing Note (15/02/2023)
- 1800273 Hearing Notice - Hearing 15 May 2023 at 10:30 am
- Bundle for Review Hearing 15 May 2023
- Trial Notices and DJs-Interim Hearing Date Notice (12/05/2023)
- Exhibit PB10A (09/05/2023)
- 10th Witness Statement of Paul Brown (09/05/2023)
- 7th Statement of Paul Brown (27/02/2023)
- 1799902 Order 16 February 2023
- Birmingham City Council v Nagmadin Ors Wolverhampton City Council v Persons Unknown (13.02.2023)
- Transcript of proceedings 6 February 2023
- Notice of High Court Hearing 6 February 2023
- Bundle for 6 February 2023 Car Cruising hearing Part 1
- Bundle for 6 February 2023 Car Cruising Hearing Part 2
- Bundle for 6 February 2023 Car Cruising Hearing Part 3
- 6th Statement of Paul Brown 3 February 2023
- Notice of Hearing 6 Feb 2023.
- Power of Arrest (22/12/2022)
- Sealed Orders Wolverhampton City Council and Others v Unknown (22/12/2022)
- Order of the High Court of Justice 14 December 2022 (14/12/2022)
- Supplementary Evidence Bundle (14/12/2022)
- WN Injunction Application (the Urgent Interim Relief Application) (12/12/2022)
- Main Application Bundle (02/10/2023)