Skip to main content

Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

The law prohibits the sale of certain products to persons under certain ages.

Laws related to underage sales exist to safeguard the health of young people and reduce community disorder. We enforce legislation that restricts the sale of goods that may be harmful to young persons, including:

  • Cigarettes and tobacco products (including nicotine vapour products known as ‘vapes’, etc)
  • Fireworks
  • Video recordings (DVDs, videos, games)
  • Intoxicating substances
  • Butane gas, fluid cigarette lighter refills
  • National Lottery
  • Alcohol
  • Liqueur chocolates
  • Offensive weapons
  • Spray paints

Advice to retailers

Guidance for retailers on age restrictions and the relevant legislation is available on the Business Companion website.

Proof of age

You can apply for a proof of age card from the Citizencard website.

As part of the Proof of Age Standards Scheme, if you are a retailer you can request a free retail support pack to promote the No Id - No Sale campaign.

Young volunteers wanted

We are looking for volunteers to assist us in our test purchasing operations.

Report underage sales

If you know of a retailer selling age restricted products to people under the age of 18, you can report it to Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice Consumer Service or our online reporting form.