Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Notification

When is this notification required?

Under the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condenser Regulations 1992, the notification of wet cooling towers and evaporative condensers is required to local Authorities (LAs) in whose area the equipment is situated, regardless of whether it is the LA or HSE that is the enforcing authority for the premises concerned. LAs have to make available to HSE information from notifications relating to equipment on premises for which HSE has enforcement responsibility.

The main purpose of this requirement is to assist inspectors in investigating outbreaks (2 or more confirmed related cases) thought likely to have arisen from wet cooling towers or evaporative condensers. For clarification as to enforcement responsibility and further advice and guidance please contact us.

How long does the notification last?

The notification lasts for as long as the wet cooling tower or evaporative condenser is present on your premises.

What do I need to do when I decommission my Cooling Tower or Evaporative Condenser?

The Regulations require notification to the local authority of the closure of the device. If you have it decommissioned your cooling tower or evaporative condenser then you will need to notify us of this by contacting us using the details below.

Where are the registered premises with cooling towers or evaporative condensers?

Details of all registered premises with cooling towers can be found on our Cooling Tower Register.

How much does it cost?

There is no fee associated with this notification.

How long will my notification take to process?

We aim to process your notification as soon as possible. We will confirm that we have received your notification. Please contact us if you have any queries using the details below.

Can I start trading before receiving my registration certificate (i.e. will tacit consent apply)?

Tacit Consent will apply. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Dudley Council by the end of the target period.

Please note Tacit Consent will only apply once a full application has been submitted and you have received an acknowledgment from Dudley Council.

How can I notify you?

Please download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form first from the options below. Once done, submit your completed application form and other relevant documentation.

Report a Problem or Make a Complaint

If you have any issue regarding a cooling tower or evaporative condenser, please contact us using the details below.

How do I tell you about changes of circumstance?

If there are any changes in the particulars of the notification then these should be notified to the council by completing a new notification form.

If I am not satisfied with the service I have received from the Council about a notification, how do I complaint?

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your notification, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Where can I go for further information?

For further information please see the Health and Safety Executives website.

Fee Information

Useful Information

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health, People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ

Telephone 0300 555 2345

Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, closed weekends and Bank Holidays

General Advice and Complaints Form