Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Do I need to register my premises?

From 6 April 2009 employers no longer have to register premises in which their employees work with either the Local Authority or the Health & Safety Executive (HSE). However, you may still need to register or notify to do some specific activities. These include:


Materials Handling

Beauty / Cosmetic Industry

Food Industry

Sports Ground

Premises Licence

These are defined in the Licensing Act 2003 and cover three types of activity:

  • the sale or supply of alcohol
  • late night refreshment (any hot food or drink between 23:00 and 05:00)
  • regulated entertainment (including music, dance, films, plays, indoor sport and similar entertainment)


Where can I get more information on starting a new business?

If your thinking of starting a new business, there are a lot of different considerations that you need to make. A good place to start is the local business link service who are able to offer specific business advice.

Why do I not need to register my premises anymore?

New rules have removed the requirements to register under the Factories Act 1961 and the Offices, Shops and Railway Premises Act 1963.


Planning Related Links

Useful Links

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ
Telephone 0300 555 2345
Monday to Friday 08:45 - 17:00 offices closed at weekends and Bank Holidays
General Advice and Complaints Form