Skip to main content

Energy Bills rebate

More information on the £150 energy bills rebate

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Children in Employment and Entertainment and Chaperone Licences - Privacy Notice

This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect, how we use and may share information about you. We are required to give you this information under data protection law. This privacy notice applies to:

  • Issuing child employment permits to allow children to take part in employment.
  • Issuing Licences to allow children to take part in entertainment
  • Approving chaperones for children in entertainment
  • Investigation of Child Employment/Entertainment illegalities files (Prosecuted for failure to comply with their legal responsibilities)
  • Inspections of places of employment and entertainment
  • Notices served for breach of child performance regulations

Who we are and What we do

Dudley MBC (DMBC) collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation, and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws. The Child Employment Officer, who is based within The Education Support Service, operates the statutory processes that govern the approval and issuing of individual Performance Licences or Body of Persons Approvals (BOPA’s) and Exemptions for Children in Entertainment, Child Employment Work Permits, and Chaperone Licences to support, safeguard and oversee these performances and activities. The Officer also provides training for chaperones, conducts Employment Visits and performance inspections during events to ensure compliance.

Reasons we can collect and use your personal information

We collect and use your personal information to comply with our legal obligations. If we need to collect special category (sensitive) personal information, we rely upon reasons of substantial public interest (safeguarding of children and of individuals at risk, and equality of opportunity or treatment), and for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims whenever Courts are acting in their judicial capacity.
Processing is necessary for compliance with legal obligations underpinned by acts of legislation that dictate what actions can and should be taken by local authorities, including:

  • Children and Young Persons Act 1933/63
  • The Employment of Women, Young Persons and children Act 1920
  • Dudley MBC Byelaws
  • Children and Young Persons Act 1933 – sections 23-30
  • Children and Young Persons Act 1963 – sections 37-44
  • Children (Performances and Activities) England Regulations 2014
  • The Education Act, Section 559
  • The Management of Health and Safety At Work 1992, and The Education Act 1996

What personal information do we collect?

In the course of providing individual or body of person’s entertainment licences, or work permits, we collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:

For employment permits and entertainment licences:

  • Business activities/Trading name and address
  • Name of Manager/Agent
  • Name of Owner/personal address/date of birth
  • Exact nature of duties/hours worked
  • Signed declaration from employer and child’s parent/guardian
  • Personal information of child and parent(s)/carer (such as name, address, contact details, date of birth and gender)
  • Information on school attended/educational provision
  • Special category information (such as the child’s fitness, health and medical conditions) required to make an informed decision about licences for performances
  • Reason why you require an entertainment or employment license, and when and where the entertainment or employment will be taking place
  • Details of the organisations for whom you will be performing or working
  • Visual image required for performance licences

In the course of providing chaperone licences, we collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:

  • Personal information (such as name, address (including previous addresses if less than 5 years), contact details, date of birth and gender)
  • Names and contact details of personal/employee references
  • Experience and qualifications
  • Proof of ID to support the DBS process
  • Reason why you require a chaperone license, and when and where you will be chaperoning
  • Employment details (current/previous employment)
  • Visual image for ID badges
  • Physical or mental health details (including health/social care records)
  • Offences (including alleged offences), criminal proceedings, outcomes and services

We also obtain personal information from other sources as follows:

  • DBS checks for chaperone licences
  • Personal references for chaperone licences
  • Checks with your Local Safeguarding Board

How long your personal data will be kept

Personal data will not be retained for longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected. There is usually a legal reason for keeping your personal information for a set period of time. This ranges from months for some records to decades for more sensitive records. If you require more information about our retention schedule please contact us at

Who we share your personal information with

Within Dudley Council information may be shared with other Council departments where necessary to follow up a service request, complaint or to take other action requested by or agreed with you. Your data may be accessed by staff working for Dudley’s Other Council teams so they can carry out their statutory roles and support our service (e.g. housing, education, complaints, and legal services). Staff in each area will only access the personal information that is essential to carry out their work and statutory functions but may share data between the respective teams where this is necessary to provide you with services. All organisations we pass your information to will have an information-sharing agreement with us to ensure they meet the standards of the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 and will be covered by a legal basis allowing them to collect, use and share your personal information.

We also routinely share information with external partners and relevant external services:

  • Chaperone information such as name, chaperone number and expiry date and Local Authority to which they are registered is shared with production companies and other Local Authorities. This is only used to confirm status and we do not provide any other details.
  • Children’s Performance Licence information (including name, DOB, parents names and name of school and photo of child) is sent to the applicant of the licence, agent (if applicable), parent, school and the Local Authority where the performance is taking place
  • We only share children’s information (name, DOB, postcode, LA where the child resides and district) as part of BOPAs if the child resides out of Dudley and this is requested by their Local Authority
  • Work permits are sent to the employer and parent. This includes name, DOB, home address, school and year group
  • Inspection reports are shared with the Local Authority where the child/children reside and the applicant responsible for the production only. Under a Performance Licence, this will include name of child and DOB and Local Authority that issued the Performance Licence and details of chaperones (their name, Issuing authority and expiry date). Under a BOPA, we do not share details of children just chaperones unless there are children who reside out of Dudley performing and their Local Authority request the information.
  • We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required to do so by applicable law.

Keeping your personal information secure

  • We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
  • We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
  • Electronic information is stored securely on the council’s secure network
  • Paper information is in locked storage

What are your rights?

You have the right to request Dudley Council to stop processing your personal data in relation to any council service. See our main privacy notice for details: Corporate Privacy and Disclaimer Statement


Requesting access to your personal data

Under GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, parents, carers and young people have the right to request access to information we hold about them. To make a request for your (or your child’s) personal information, contact the Council’s Corporate Information Governance Team:

Lewis Bourne, Data Protection Officer, at or by calling 0300 555 2345 and asking to speak to the Corporate Information Governance Team

Depending on the lawful basis, you may also have the right to:

  • object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
  • prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
  • object to decisions being taken by automated means
  • in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed: and a right to seek redress, either through the ICO, or through the courts

Withdrawal of consent and the right to lodge a complaint

Where we are processing your personal data with your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent. If you change your mind, or you are unhappy with our use of your personal data, please let us know by contacting Lewis Bourne, Data Protection Officer, at or by calling 0300 555 2345 and asking to speak to the Corporate Information Governance Team.

Further information

The GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 give you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by us and how it is used by us. Information about your data rights is listed in the Council’s Corporate Privacy Notice on the Council’s website at the link referenced above.

If you have any questions or concerns about the way we collect, store or use your personal information, please contact in the first instance

For independent advice about data protection issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at

We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Notice at any time and will keep it under review. If we do make any changes, we will post the current version to our website at this address.