Skip to main content

Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

Small Business Rate Relief

The Governments rates relief scheme was introduced to help small businesses.  Relief is based on the Rateable Value (RV) of your business in the relevant valuation period.

How do I apply?

The easiest way to apply for rate relief is to download and complete the small business rate relief claim form and return it to us by attaching it to our online submission portal below.  Alternatively you can return it to the address stated on the form.

Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Relief

Support for eligible retail, hospitality, and leisure businesses remains at 75% business rates relief up to £110,000 per business in 2024/25.

Charitable and Discretionary Relief

Charities are entitled to relief from rates on any non-domestic property which is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes. Relief is mandatory and set at 80% of the full rate bill (or the transitional bill if applicable).

Community Amateur sports clubs can also qualify for 80% mandatory relief provided they are registered with the Inland Revenue as a Community Amateur Sports Club, known as CASC's.

For both of the above, the Council has the discretion to award up to 20% discretionary relief.

Bodies not established or conducted for profit whose main objectives are charitable or otherwise philanthropic or religious, or are concerned with social welfare, education, science, literature, the fine arts or recreation can be awarded up to 100% relief.

Empty Properties

Unoccupied properties may be liable for empty property rates. Rates are charged at 100% of the full rate bill (or transitional bill if applicable). Liability begins after the property has been empty for three months. This is extended to six months in the case of certain industrial properties.

Once a property has been empty for three months (or six months if it is industrial) it will be liable for a full charge, unless it qualifies for a an exemption e.g.

  • a listed building
  • occupation is prohibited by law
  • the rateable value is less than £2900
  • it is subject to a preservation notice

Removing the Property from Rating

If, for example, a property is in such a poor condition that it cannot be economically repaired, the valuation officer (see below) may consider that it should be taken out of the rating list altogether.

Partial Occupation

If a property is only partly occupied, the Council has discretion to request that the valuation officer (see below) apportions the property’s rateable value between its occupied and unoccupied parts.

At present, generally, the empty property rate applies to the empty part of an apportioned building and the occupied business rate applies to the occupied part. The empty part will receive a complete exemption from rates for the first three months is it empty (or, for industrial property, the first six months). After the initial rate-free period expires, in most cases the appointment will cease to have effect and the occupied business rate will apply to the whole property.

Contact Us

Telephone: 0300 050 1501

Local Valuation Office
Valuation Office Agency
2 Broadway
Broad Street
B15 1BG