Skip to main content

Complaints regarding advice given by Council Inspectors

If you are unhappy with the advice or recommendations given by our inspectors then you should first try to resolve the matter with the inspector or their manager.

How do I make a complaint?

After speaking to our inspector or their manager, you still feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the advice that we have given, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have.

The Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel

If you are still unhappy with the advice provided then you can appeal to the Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel. They will look into complaints regarding advice given by HSE or LA inspectors about health and safety which you think is incorrect or goes beyond what is required to control the risk adequately.

The panel consists of independent members who will have the competence and experience to assess advice that has been given on regulatory matters.

What to expect

Your issue will be put before the panel members who will review it thoroughly and inform you of its findings.

The panel will only consider cases from 30 June 2011 onwards and the outcome will be made available on the HSE website.

The panel’s role is advisory. The regulators will respect the independence of the panel and its advice and where appropriate take it on board.

What if I am still not satisfied?

If you are still not satisfied with the findings of the Independent Regulatory Panel, you can follow the complaints procedures, including writing to the Chief Executive of HSE.

You can also write to your MP and, if necessary ask them to contact the Office of the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to investigate cases relating to HSE.

For Local Authority matters, you can contact your local councillor and if necessary the Local Government Ombudsman.

Contact us

Telephone: 0300 555 2345

Environmental Health and Safety
4 Ednam Road

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 5pm
Offices are closed weekends and Bank Holidays