Primary Aims of the Environmental Safety and Health
The service consist of an operational team dealing with industrial pollution including noise, domestic smoke control, health and safety enforcement and planning consultation advice. The service also deals with air quality management.
Local Air Quality Management
- Implementing the principles of the air quality action plan to improve air quality within the Borough.
- Reducing the impact of poor air quality on the Boroughs residents through careful consideration of planning applications and air quality
- Enforce the provisions of the Borough wide Smoke Control Order and deal with increasing smoke control issues caused by fuel poverty.
- Use of an Air Quality modelling software package to predict future air quality issues and trends
- Monitor air quality for Nitrogen Oxides and Particulate Matter (PM10) with 4 automatic Air Quality Monitoring Stations and for Nitrogen Dioxide at approximately 60 other locations throughout the Borough with diffusion tubes.
- Report on the results and outcomes of air quality monitoring and provide annual reports to Defra and Members.
Health and Safety
- Targeting relevant and effective interventions on a risk based regulatory approach that focuses on influencing behaviours and improving the management of risk.
- Identifying & undertaking specific project based work to focus on areas of high risk activity such as transport & delivery to retail stores.
- The investigation of reportable injuries, workplace diseases and dangerous occurrences arising out of or in connection with work.
- The investigation of complaints relating to health and safety in local authority enforced premises.
- The issue of advice to businesses and members of the public about health and safety issues in local authority enforced premises.
- The registration of skin piercing activities in the borough, including tattooing, body piercing, electrolysis and acupuncture, and the enforcement of the Dudley Borough byelaws on skin piercing.
- Educational and promotional activities and initiatives to raise awareness of health and safety at work issues.
- Achieve inspection targets for the permitted installations to ensure compliance with permit conditions to protect health and the environment
- Vary permit documents following interventions to ensure relevance of conditions and that regulatory control is maintained
- Undertake enforcement of breaches of permit conditions, non compliance with abatement notices and all other breaches of relevant legislation in accordance with the DUE enforcement policy.
- Address existing complaints and investigate new complaints concerning odour, fume, smoke and noise in accordance with Delivery Plan targets.
- Deal with fires at occupied and vacant industrial premises, includes potential emissions of asbestos fibres from building fires.
- Work with the emergency services to take the necessary action to prevent unauthorised access to void and derelict industrial buildings.
- Consider and respond to consultations on planning applications, pre-application submissions, informal planning enquiries and discharge of condition applications within the agreed target time period, with respect to all of the areas of expertise contained within Environmental Safety and Health Service.
- Participate in policy reviews and proposed procedures & guidance involving regeneration and environmental safety and health
- Officers provide expert advice to planning inquiries and development control committee concerning environmental issues
- Involvement in area planning proposals, gate way initiatives and development briefs to improve specific areas of the Dudley Borough