Essential Maintenance

Due to essential maintenance on Wednesday 24th July, all online forms will be unavailable.  We apologise for any inconvenience.

Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Environmental Permitting

By law Local Authorities are required to regulate certain types of industries to reduce pollution and in particular improve air quality. The laws include The Pollution Prevention & Control Act 1999 and Environmental Permitting (England and Wales Regulations) 2016 which together govern Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control and Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control.

Our role in the regime is to issue permits which set controls and emission standards to minimise pollution from certain industrial activities. The Activities which require a permit can be found in Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016. Once a Permit has been issued we routinely inspect the activity, those with a higher pollution potential are inspected more frequently. If a company breaches the conditions we set in the Permit we can take enforcement action which may lead to prosecution. More on Pollution Prevention and Control

Commercial and Industrial Bonfires

It is illegal to dispose of trade waste by unauthorised burning and any business doing so is potentially committing an offence. Trade waste is any waste that is generated by commercial and business premises. An allegation of burning trade waste is a matter for the Environmental Agency to investigate.

The emission of dark or black smoke from trade or industrial bonfires premises constitutes an offence under the Clean Air Act 1993. The Council will investigate all allegations of dark or black smoke arising from trade or industrial premises.


Under Part III of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 the Council can take action to secure the abatement of statutory nuisances from industrial premises. A statutory nuisance can arise from excessive smoke, noise disturbance, odour, dust and or fumes arising from industrial activities.

In addition to industrial nuisances the Council also investigates nuisance from noise caused by amplified noise,, machinery or equipment in the street.

Useful links

Commercial and Trade Services

  • Environmental Safety and Health
    3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ
    0300 555 2345

    Contact - Environmental Health

  • Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, Please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays