Skip to main content

Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

Everyone has a different tolerance to noise. Often the best way to deal with unwanted noise is to talk to the person or company responsible and point out the problem. You may find they are unaware that they are disturbing you.

Before you approach the person or company responsible it's important to think about your personal safety. If you feel threatened by those responsible for the noise, or if you are worried that they may become aggressive, then approaching them may not be the best option for you.

If your approach is unsuccessful, or you do not feel it's appropriate, then you can make a complaint to us. Advice on complaining to us is contained in the following sections.