Skip to main content
Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Information, advice and help for everyday essentials


  • If you are experiencing financial difficulties
  • If you have less than a week’s supply of food in the house
  • If you are unable to afford to buy any food and have nowhere else you are able to turn

You may be able to get a voucher for a foodbank parcel, baby bank or a referral to a food club for access to reduced cost food. There are also several other charities that referral services may be able to access.

You can request a referral from several local organisations.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice is a service that is open to all.

Job Centres

  • Dudley Jobcentre Plus, Alexander House, 32 Wolverhampton Street, Dudley, DY1 1JR
  • Halesowen Jobcentre Plus, Maybrook House, Queensway, Halesowen, B63 4AH
  • Stourbridge Jobcentre Plus, Scotland House, 169 Lower High Street, Stourbridge, DY8 1ES

Call 0845 604 3719 or 0800 169 0190 - Textphone 01384 243499

Family centres

You can contact a local family centre is you have children in your household up to the age of 18.

  • Stourbridge Family Centre - Forge Rd, Stourbridge, DY8 1XF - call 01384 818780
  • Halesowen Family Centre - Lye By-Pass, Stourbridge, DY9 8HT - call 01384 813954
  • Brierley Hill Family Centre - 18 Parkes Street, Brierley Hill, DY5 3DY - call 01384 813322
  • Dudley North Family Centre - Bayer Street, Bilston, WV14 9DS - call 01384 813096
  • Dudley Central Family Centre - Selbourne Road, Dudley DY2 8LJ - call 01384 812440

Health visitors

You can discuss any financial difficulties with your health visitor. They will be able to refer you to a range of services.

Integrated plus

Integrated Plus is a social prescribing service that supports people aged 16 and over. They work with people who pay regular GP visits, are at high risk of hospital admission and/or are vulnerable.

Black Country Foodbank

You can get a referral for a single person food parcel. The will provide enough food for an average person to last 3 days or 10 meals. A family food parcel is enough for two adults and three children under 14 years old to last the same number of days.

Sledmere Community Centre

If you live in the St Thomas area of Dudley, there is a local foodbank running at the community centre. No referral is required. The foodbank is open 5pm-7pm Wednesday and 11am-1pm Sunday.

Provision House

Provision House, formerly known as Loaves and Fishes Food Club, runs runs a social supermarket. You will need to use one of the referral agencies to access this service.

It gives members 10 items for £4 a week, the recipient must sign up to two support services (advice debt counselling etc.)

Brierley Hill Babybank

Many families experience financial hardship as they try to adjust to having a new baby at home. The Brierley Hill Babybank supports families with baby essentials.

Other referral routes

There are also some schools and GP’s that are registered as referral agencies, speak to your local ones to see if they can help you.

Clothes and furniture

If you need help to get furniture or clothes due to financial pressures any professional that is supporting you can refer you to Provision House.

Healthcare costs

The cost of looking after your health can sometimes start to add up but there are ways to reduce some costs.

Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme

If you are receiving universal credit or on a low income, you may be able to claim travel costs refund for hospital appointments.

Prescription Prepayment Certification

The current prescription charge is £9.35 per item. You can save money on prescription costs, by buying an NHS prescription prepayment Certificate.

There are 2 options to choose from:

  1. A 3 month prepayment certification costs £30.25. It will save you money if you need more than 3 prescribed items in 3 months.
  2. A 12 month prepayment certification costs £108.10. It will save you money if you need more than 11 prescribed items in a year.

Exemption from Prescription Medication

You could get free prescription medication if you are receipt of benefits, on low income or those with certain medical conditions.

Ask can the Prescription Medication be brought over the counter

You can buy some prescription medications for minor health issues over the counter at a pharmacy or supermarket. Your local pharmacist can tell you if the medication is available or cheaper to buy over the counter.

Dental Care

You do not have to pay for NHS dental services if you're:

  • under 18, or under 19 and in full-time education
  • pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months
  • being treated in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist (but you may have to pay for any dentures or bridges)
  • receiving low income benefits, or you're under 20 and a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits