Dudley Council is committed to making sure that council money is used for the purposes for which it is intended, meeting the needs of local people.
Zero tolerance for fraud
Taxpayers, service users, local people and the council all have a vested interest in ensuring that council money and property is protected from those who seek to steal or misuse it.
Fraudulent use of council money can include people:
- getting money they aren't entitled to from the council – such as payments for contracts, supplies or grants
- stealing or misusing council resources – such as stores, equipment, vehicles or buildings. This can include obtaining a council property by deception, renting one out (sub-letting) without permission, or other types of tenancy fraud.
Please note that investigation of benefit fraud is organised nationally by the Department for Work and Pensions. Report benefit fraud online or call the national benefit fraud hotline on 0800 854 440.
Help us to investigate
You can report suspicions of fraud, theft or corruption to us in complete confidence and without fear of discrimination. See the confidential reporting section below for details. Please provide as much information as possible to help us investigate your concerns.
Useful details could include:
- The name or a clear description of the person you are reporting
- Details of the fraud or misuse that is taking place
- How long the fraud or misuse has been happening and where it took place
- Where the person works and any vehicle details (if relevant)
- The names of any people known to be associated with the fraud
Our corporate fraud team will look into all reported incidents thoroughly and ensure all possible appropriate action is taken.
The Council's whistleblowing policy covers disclosures and allegations of serious wrongdoing within the Council, including schools if they are part of the Council. These types of report are handled in accordance with the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998.
Please be assured that any contact details provided will be held safely and treated in the strictest confidence.