Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

A supply of good quality private rental accommodation in the Borough is important to respond to growing housing demand but also to provide a range of housing options to suit all needs across the Borough.

We provide information and advice to landlords on a variety of subjects.  Read through our landlord pages for more information.

Homes in multiple occupation (HMOs) and licensing

A HMO is a house in multiple occupation and applies to buildings that are either a single dwelling or a flat where two or more separate households share facilities such as; kitchens, toilet and bathroom. In April 2006 the government introduced a compulsory licensing system for certain types of HMOs. Those HMOs that are 3 stories or more and are occupied by five or more persons comprising of two separate households must be licensed.

From 1st October 2018 all properties that are occupied by five or more persons comprising of two separate households must be licensed. If no licence is in place by the 1st October 2018 an offence will have been committed. Applications are currently being accepted and processed by the council. Please use the below application form.

The current licence fee is £675 for a property consisting of up to 7 units, for any properties above 7 units there will be an additional £15 fee per additional unit. The council is responsible for maintaining a licensing scheme for properties of this type, so if your property fits the criteria outlined in the guidance contact Housing Enforcement Team to apply for a licence on 01384 815118.

Once your application has been accepted, a payment invoice will be raised and sent to you.

See below for further guidance:-

Download the form below and complete accordingly.  You will need the following documents to accompany your application:-

  • Building Sketch Plan
  • Planning Consent (where appropriate)
  • Building Regulations (where appropriate)
  • Gas Certificate
  • Electrical Certificate
  • Fire Detection Certificate
  • Emergency Lighting Certificate
  • Portable Appliance Test Certificate (where appropriate)

The completed form including all documentation needs to be sent to Housing Enforcement Team, Dudley MBC, Harbour Buildings, Waterfront West, Brierley Hill, DY5 1LN or email

Any queries please call Housing Enforcement Team on 01384 815118 or email

Landlords forum

We hold regular landlord forums to let you know about new legislation and provide advice and information.  

Details of our last landlords forum which took place on Wednesday 18th July 2018 with speakers covering topics including NLA News, Resettlement Services/Housing & Welfare, Lets for Life and Preventing Cannabis Cultivation. To view the presentations from our last forum please see below.

Homestamp information

Homestamp is an award-winning partnership consortium with a direct interest in private sector housing, comprising of Local Authorities, the private rented sector, Universities, Police and Fire Services.

visit the homestamp website

visit the Midland Landlord Accreditation Scheme


We aim to protect and promote the health and well-being of the people living in the Dudley Borough by improving private sector rented housing, public health and the environment, via the provision of advice, support and enforcement action where required.

We will operate with principles of the Regulators Compliance Code. That is proportionately applying the law and securing compliance; consistency of approach; targeting of enforcement action; transparency about how we operate and what those regulated may expect; and accountability for our actions.

Housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS)

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is the government's system for assessing the health and safety risks in dwellings, and is designed as a replacement for the old fitness standard used by Environmental Health Officers in Private Sector Housing to inspect properties in the private sector. See related documents to the right for further information or visit the link below.

more on the health and safety rating system

Smoke free regulations and private accommodation

Are you a landlord/managing agent of a residential premises that has ‘common areas’ such as shared hallways, kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms? If so the Smoke free legislation, which came into force in England on the 1st July 2007, applies to you.

more on smoke free regulations

Gas safety

Landlords must ensure that gas appliances installed in their rented properties are maintained and that tenants are provided with a current landlords gas safety certificate.

Anti-social behaviour

We all have the right to live in peace free from the nuisance of noisy neighbours, threatening behaviour or harassment. If your tenants complain about anti-social behaviour or someone complains to you about your tenants, action will need to be taken. 

more on anti-social behaviour

Rogue landlords

Around 3.6 million people live in private rented accommodation. Whilst the majority of landlords provide good quality accommodation, a minority of landlords try to exploit their tenants - often targeting the most vulnerable in society, placing them in squalid, overcrowded or poor conditions. The Council has signed up to the Rogue Landlord Project and will investigate landlords where complaints have been made about them or their rented property.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

Private sector landlords are required from 1 October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. coal fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each tenancy.

Related Documents