Skip to main content
Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

The removal or Demolition of a building or structure that is larger than 50m³, requires notification to the Local authority under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984. The removal or demolition of a building or structure may also require Planning Consent, please see the Planning section of the website. Other legislation may also have implications e.g. Conservation (Natural Habitats &c) Regulations 2010 and the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended). You are required to notify the Neighbours, Local Authority and service providers before commencing any demolition works. Informing any neighbours is also required under the Party Wall Act 1996.

A Demolition Notice or Section 80 Notice is a written statement to the local authority informing them of your intent and should include:

  • A clear Ordnance Survey map showing the site and building being removed, 
  • Your contact details ( name address and phone number ) 
  • The details of who will be demolishing the building ( contractor name and phone number ). 

 This should be submitted no less than 6 weeks prior to your intended commencement date.

The Local Authority have no more than 6 weeks to provide written acceptance of the notification, a Section 81 counter Notice. You may commence demolition if you receive our acceptance or Section 81 counter Notice prior to the end of the 6 week period. As part of our acceptance specific conditions relating to the demolition may be included.

Contact us

Planning Help Desk
Building Control
Planning and Economic Development
Directorate of Place
4 Ednam Road
West Midlands

Telephone: 01384 814136
Out of Hours Telephone: 01384 814136 (24 hours)
Fax: 01384 814126

Opening hours: Monday to Friday - 8.45am to 5pm
Offices are closed on weekends and bank holidays.

Find us on Google Maps