Our Pleased to Meet You service provides a range of practical help, advice and support to people who have a disability or longer-term life-limiting health condition. We want to help you live independently, happily and successfully in your own home.
Support on offer can help to:
- address loneliness
- develop independent living skills and home management skills
- improve your financial situation - including help with claiming the correct benefits, completing application forms / paperwork
- improve your health and wellbeing
- get out and about and access your the community
- support carers
- support you when you return from home after a hospital stay
We also provide:
- a useful visiting service to check people are all right while their family carers are away on holiday - up to 2 visit services a year
- help arranging access to essential groceries, or picking up medication
Am I eligible?
To be eligible you must live in Dudley Borough and have difficulties living independently at home because of disability or life-limiting health conditions.
How much does it cost?
There is no charge and anyone meeting the criteria can ask for help from the team. The service can also be requested by family members, friends, a person's GP or social worker.
What is the process?
A tailored assessment and support plan will be produced in partnership with you. It will state how often support officers will visit, for how long and what help and support will be provided to help you.
Loneliness and isolation
Loneliness can have a huge impact on both physical and mental health. Evidence shows that being lonely has the same negative impact on health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day.
One of the key focuses of the Pleased to Meet You service is to reduce loneliness and isolation for all people. We want to support people to stay positive and provide a helping hand to help anyone feeling lonely get out about and enjoy life. Together we can help you overcome the fear of stepping into the community you want to be involved in or even create something new.
Loneliness and isolation course for staff and partners
This Loneliness and Isolation course is for anyone who comes into contact with people who might be lonely or isolated. It will help you learn:
- what isolation and loneliness is
- who might be vulnerable
- how to spot signs that someone might need help
- what you can do to help tackle this issue
Call our Please to Meet You telephone line on 01384 812761 or click on the Dudley Adults Portal.