Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Children and young people over the age of 13 can work on a part time basis after school, at weekends or during school holidays.

Children and young people must be registered with us to work and will be issued with a work permit. There are restrictions depending on age including the number of hours they can work and the type of employment they can do.  Our Education Support Service works with employers, parents, school and other agencies to ensure that young people who are at work are doing so safely and legally and without detriment to their education.

Employers - How to register

Employers must apply for a work permit.  Any employer who allows a child of school age to work, without obtaining a work permit, is breaking the law and could be prosecuted.

Dudley Council have a Code of Practice Policy (see policy below) that employers need to sign up to. You must be signed up and have received your registration number before you can complete and return your child employment work permit registration form.  For more information contact the Child Employment Officer on 01384 814314 or email child.employment@dudley.gov.uk

Employment Legislation

You can find out more about relevant legislation on the links below.  Please note that these are external websites and we are not responsible for their content or the accuracy of information provided on them.

Code of Practice

For further information, please click on the document download link below.

Video: Child Employment - Work Law

Further Information

Still have a question or query? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us at Dudley Council Plus.