School Crossing Patrols (lollipop ladies / men) are one of only three groups of people who are allowed to stop traffic, the others being traffic wardens and police officers. Only trained School Crossing Patrols (SCPs) may use a “lollipop”, and they must operate at a designated site. SCPs can cross adults and children across the road.
Rules for crossing with a SCP:
- Walk on the pavement to the SCP
- Tell them you would like to cross
- Wait away from the kerb, on the pavement
- Stay on the pavement while the SCP checks it is safe and walks into the road
- Cross when the SCP says you can
- Walk across the road in a straight line (do not run)
- Cross in front of the SCP
- If you are on a bike, push it across the road
- Say thank you!
Some SCPs work on zebra / pelican / puffin crossings – at these locations the same rules apply. When a SCP is on duty at a light controlled crossing, members of the public should wait for them to press the button.
Remember: even where a school crossing patrol is provided, parents remain responsible for ensuring their children’s safety.