Skip to main content

In the UK anyone can change their name if they want to. However, if you would like the new name to be recognised officially, you will need to register the change.


A Deed Poll cannot be used to change your birth certificate, marriage certificate or decree absolute. It is also not possible to get permanent records such as past educational certificates changed because these are a matter of fact in that they were in the correct name when issued.

Please download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form first from the options below. Once done, submit your completed application form using the online form.  This service requires an online payment. After you submit your form you will be taken to our secure payment facility to pay for the requested service.

Please note that your deed will be prepared once we have received your application and payment, therefore we cannot issued any refunds for change of name deed applications.

Once we have received your completed form and payment we will prepare your deed and contact you to arrange an appointment for you to visit the register office to sign the deed in the presence of the superintendent registrar. You will be advised what documents you will need to bring to the appointment when we call you. At the end of the appointment you will be given your deed poll document.


The change of name deeds we issue are as legally valid as un-enrolled deeds issued by solicitors in England and Wales.

Our change of name deeds are also suitable for enrolling with the Royal Courts of Justice if you wish to do so. For further information about enrolling a change of name deed visit

Exceptions to our Guarantee

Our guarantee does not apply in the following situations:

  • If you are a foreign national.
  • If your Deed Poll is not accepted by a government department, company or organisation outside the United Kingdom (British Embassies and British High Commissions overseas are considered part of the United Kingdom).
  • If your Deed Poll for a child is not accepted because the record holder's parental consent requirements have not been met.
  • If a record holder is unable to enter your name correctly on their computer system. For example, because your name includes modified Latin characters or your forename or surname is too short.
  • If a record holder requires other documentary evidence that your name has been changed for "all purposes." For example, some financial institutions and the General Medical Council may want to see your passport in your new name before they will recognise your new name. Furthermore, the UK Identity and Passport Service (and British Embassies and British High Commissions overseas) may require evidence that you are using your new name for all purposes by presenting them with two or three documents in your new name.
  • If you are detained under the Mental Health Act and your clinicians decide you do not have sufficient mental capacity to understand the significance and consequences of changing your name.
  • If the UK Identity and Passport Service (IPS) deem your new name to be in breach of their inappropriate and temporary name change policy, which states IPS will not issue a passport in a name they consider temporary or contains a political statement; a string of words that will not normally be considered a name, or a trade-marked name.