The Art Gallery re-opened in 1946; it was open daily from 10am-8pm.
Also in 1946, Brangwyn's painting 'The Wine Press' was commissioned.
The 1950's saw a renewed interest in the arts, the importance of conserving heritage and planning for the future. In 1954 the council first asked the Art School to consider moving out to allow for the expansion of the galleries which now included a geological museum and other galleries devoted to local industry and history.
In January 1965 the new geological gallery was opened on the ground floor displaying the collection of fossils deposited by the former Dudley Geological Society.
Local government reorganisation in 1965/66 had widened responsibilities to include the museum in Brierley Hill which included a large and well-known collection of glass.
The Council was committed to developing an industrial museum and work began almost immediately on finding a suitable site and building up the collection. The Black Country Museum was established as an independent trust and opened to the public in 1979.
In 2016, the decision was made to close the existing Museum and Art Gallery and re-display some of the collection in modern, accessible and more suitable premises - close to the other visitor attractions in Dudley.