A range of information is available on our website so that people can make informed decisions about contaminated land for themselves. In a few simple steps you can get an initial indication as to the possibility of contamination being present at a particular property or piece of land.
1. research past and present land uses and identify the potential contaminants associated with those land uses and activities
2. check the status of the land or property under Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990
Use the ‘In my area’ search facility on the main homepage to get property specific details relating to inspections under Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Policy & Framework document including the Inspection Strategy
- Cost Recovery Policy
- Record of determinations and written statements
- Public Register held under Section 78R
3. ascertain whether land contamination was dealt with when the property was built, or the land developed
Technical information about land contamination is available from the following links:
- Gov.uk land contamination: technical guidance
- Gov.uk Guidance Land affected by contamination
Requests for environmental information
Should you require any information not accessible via our website you can make a request for information under the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 using Request For Information Form.