Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

How to object to, complain or report an Alcohol Licence

Applicants can apply for, as part of new and variations (e.g. - an extension of hours) to premises or club premises certificates, permission to sell alcohol or supply alcohol; provide regulated entertainment; provide of hot food after 11pm.

How to object to an alcohol licence

Can I object to an application?

You can object to an application if you are :-

  • a person living in the vicinity of the premises
  • a body representing persons who live in the vicinity of the premises
  • a person involved in a business in that vicinity
  • a body representing persons involved in such businesses.
  • Responsible Authorities can also object to applications.


What can objections be about?

You can only object to an application based on a number of licensing objectives, which are the :-

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • protection of children from harm.

How do I find out about applications?

On this website there is a list of current Licences Awaiting Approval for new applications and a list of Variation to Premises Licence for applications to vary a premise or club licence.

A notice must be displayed on the premises within one day of the us receiving the application for applications and variations to premises licences and club premises certificates.

In addition, within 10 days of us receiving the application, a notice must be placed in the local newspaper.

How do I object?

If you wish to make representations with regards to a particular licence this can be done from the current list of Licences Awaiting Approval for new applications or from the current list of Variation to Premises Licence list for Variations.

You have 28 days to make your objections known. This period starts when we receive the application.

When you make your objection, you must provide us with:

  • Details of the premises including the application reference number, so we can check which premises your objection refers to.
  • Your objections and a note of which licensing objectives apply to your comments.
  • Your contact details, so we can confirm receipt and invite you to attend any hearing to determine the licence application.

Objections must be made in writing to us and our Contact Details can be found below.

If an objection, is considered by us to be frivolous or vexatious, then the objection will not be considered. There is no right of appeal.

Who makes the final decisions on applications?

The Licensing Committee will consider applications and make a decision based on the evidence placed before it from the applicant, objectors and responsible authorities.

How to complain about an alcohol licence

If you experience noise, disturbances or believe that premises are in breach of their licence, make a note of the incidents recording the date, time and what happened.

You can then contact us and make a complaint using the Contact Details below..

If you witness a serious incident at a licensed premises such as violence, contact West Midlands Police immediately.

Report underage sale of alcohol

Are you worried that children in your area could be buying alcohol from a local shop or are being supplied alcohol by people aged over the age of 18? 

Remember, it is an offence to sell alcohol to children under the age of 18. Children's health is put at risk by underage drinking and it fuels youth crime and and anti-social behaviour. 

Dudley Council's licensing and trading standards teams are here to help. Information about what to do if you suspect that alcohol is being sold or supplied to anyone underage.

  • Licensing Team, Unit 1, Hurst Business Park, Narrowboat Way, Brierley Hill, DY5 1UF
    Telephone: 01384 815489 or 815377 Renewals 01384 815050

  • Office is open from 8.00am to 4.00pm daily. Applicants are seen by appointment only.