Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Performing Animal Registration

If you intend to keep or train animals for public performance, (e.g. circus or films), the animal needs to be registered with us under the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925. The legislation is designed to cover the use of animals in stage performances, at circuses, as part of exhibitions etc. The premises and accommodation for animals must satisfy basic standards for the health, welfare and safety of the animals that you intend to keep. We will arrange a veterinary surgeon's inspection to ensure that the accommodation is suitable.

Eligibility criteria

There are no restrictions on the eligibility of persons to apply for this registration.

Regulation summary

Performing Animals Act 1925.

What are the Conditions of the Registration?

The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 requires any person who exhibits or trains any performing (vertebrate) animal to be registered with a local authority. The term “exhibit” is defined as “exhibit at any entertainment to which the public are admitted, whether on payment of money or otherwise…”and to “train” means “for the purpose of any such exhibition”.

This provision, applies to circuses and also to other situations, such as film making and plays, which involve animal performances. A person who exhibits or trains a performing animal must be registered; e.g. circuses, cabarets, film.

A copy of the registration conditions can be obtained on request. However in summary, before a registration is granted, the applicant must be able to demonstrate that:

  • the performing animals are obtained from a reputable source to minimise the risk of disease;
  • the appropriate measures will be taken to protect the animals in case of fire or other emergency including the provision of suitable fire fighting equipment;
  • that the register contains the types of animal to be used in performances, both to be trained and exhibited;
  • that health and safety checks are carried out for both the animals and staff.

When is this registration required?

Anyone wishing to either train or exhibit a performing animal. – e.g. animals in plays.

Is a fee associated with this registration ?

The cost associated with this registration is based upon the time spent by an officer from the council, together with any veterinary practitioner costs, in the consideration of the application. An invoice for consideration of your application will therefore be issued at the end of the process. Please check the fee area at top of the page for more information.

What information or evidence will I need to provide?

Any information required to progress your application will be requested by the relevant application form itself including heating arrangements, details of the animal, details of how the animal will perform and for what duration. However, dependent on the findings of the inspection by officers of the Council or other authorised person such as a veterinary surgeon, further information or clarification may be requested prior to granting a licence or registration.

Are there inspections or assessments?

Prior to granting a registration, an officer will arrange for an inspection to establish if the requisite standards are being met.

How can I apply?

Please download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form first from the options below. Once done, submit your completed application form and other relevant documentation using the online form.


PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LEGISLATION IS CHANGING - THESE FORMS WILL BE UPDATED BY THE END OF OCTOBER - if your query is urgent please call 0300 555 2345 and ask to speak to an animal welfare officer.

How long will my application take to process?

Due to inspections by officers of the Council and possibly by others such as veterinary surgeon, we say that applications can take up to 28 days to process, i.e. from receipt of the application to grant of licence or registration.

We will confirm for all electronic applications via email that we have received your application. Please contact us if you have any queries about the process us.

Can I start trading before receiving my registration (i.e. will tacit consent apply)?

You cannot start trading until your application is processed by the Council and you have received a licence. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us.

Changes to Registration

Once you have registered you need to notify us of any change and in some circumstances this may result in a new registration application being required.

How long does my registration last?

The registration lasts as long as the business proprietor or operation of the business does not change. If a new person takes over the business or the premises changes, then you will need to re-register. Please contact us if you are no longer running the business using the contact details below.

Is there a public register available?

The legislation does not require a public register to be kept of Performing Animal Registrations. If you do not know if an premises is registered for Performing Animals, please contact us.

How do I complain about a local business?

We will investigate complaints of poor animal welfare or conditions in a commercial business within the Borough.

If you have a general concern about the welfare of an animal, and want to complain about a business in Dudley Borough, please can use the Animal Welfare Advice and Complaints form.

Alternatively you can report the matter directly to the RSPCA.

Notify us of any changes

If you wish to simply inform us of changes in circumstance such as address, business name, opening hours etc. Please contact us using the details below.

Can my registration be refused?

Your registration cannot be refused by the Council, however you may be subject to enforcement action if you do not comply with the necessary standards laid out in by law and bylaws.

Trade associations


Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Further information

If you would like further advice about the standards or practices within a local business please use the Animal Welfare Advice and Complaints form.

Fee Information

Useful Links

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health,People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ

Telephone 0300 555 2345

Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, closed weekends and Bank Holidays

General Advice and Complaints Form