Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

The council issues licences for business premises where animals are going to be kept or cared for. The purpose of the licences and inspections is to ensure that:

  • accommodation is suitable in terms of size, construction, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
  • animals are adequately supplied with suitable food, drink, and bedding material;
  • animals are adequately exercised;
  • all reasonable precautions are taken to prevent and control the spread among animals of infectious or contagious diseases;
  • appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of the animals in case of fire or other emergency.

Animal Health & Welfare

The council is responsible for ensuring satisfactory animal welfare standards within the Borough. Please click on the links below to find out more about animal welfare:

Charter for the Welfare of Animals

The council has responsibility relating to the welfare of all captive and domestic animals and wild animals in so far as its activates impinge upon their lives and well being. Please see the Council's Charter for the Welfare of Animals for information on how these responsibilities are undertaken.

Right of Appeal

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any conditions to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates Courts who may give such directions regarding the licence or its conditions as it thinks proper.

How much does it cost?

There is an application fee which must be paid at the time an application is made. The application fees normally changes annually. For this year's fee please view the Animal Licence Fees Information.

What Animal Licenses do we Issue?

In order to protect animal welfare, the following types or premises dealing with live animals needs to be licensed by us:

Complaints and advice about poor animal welfare

We will investigate complaints of poor animal welfare or conditions in a commercial business within the Borough.

Contact us if you have a general concern about the welfare of an animal, or want to complain about a business in Dudley Borough.

Alternatively you can report the matter directly to the RSPCA.

Inspection of businesses that deal with live animals

We carry out inspections to ensure that premises are suitable and that the licence conditions are met. Businesses will be inspected as a routine part of the licensing process, this inspection may be undertaken with a vet should the officers decide that it is necessary.

  • Telephone 0300 555 2345
    Monday to Friday 08:45 - 17:00 Offices closed weekends and Bank Holidays