Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Online applications

Please download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form first from the options below. Once done, submit your completed application form and other relevant documentation.

Please ensure you follow the instructions within the online form.


TEMPORARILY NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO CHANGES IN LEGISLATION - NEW FORMS AVAILABLE END OF OCTOBER- if you have urgent queries please call: 0300 555 2345 and ask to speak to an animal health officer.

When is this licence required?

Anyone selling pet animals must hold a licence from the local authority. Pet animals include any vertebrate animals - fish, amphibian, reptile, bird or mammal.

Pet animals may only be sold from permanent premises – e.g not a market stall.

Eligibility criteria

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop. A fee, determined by the Local Authority, will be payable on application.

Regulation summary

Pet Animals Act 1951


One off sales from home, for example kittens and rabbits. Please note that persons who breed dogs, and produce more than 5 litters per year need a Breeding Establishment Licence.

How much does it cost?

There is an application fee which must be paid at the time an application is made. The application fees normally changes annually so for this year's fee please view the fee information.

How do I pay for a licence?

You can either:

1) Ring us and pay by Credit or Debit Card over the phone by calling 0300 555 2345 - ask to pay for a pet shop licence.

2) Post to us a completed and signed application form together with a cheque for the correct amount to address below

3) Visit us at the office address below to either pay in cash (exact amount), cheque or bank card

Please note - Debit cards have no charge but there is a small charge for credit card payments.

How long will my application take to process?

Due to inspections by officers of the Council and possibly by others such as veterinary surgeon, we say that applications can take up to 28 days to process, i.e. from receipt of the application to grant of licence or registration.

We will confirm for all electronic applications via email that we have received your application. Please contact us if you have any queries about the process us.

Can I start trading before receiving my licence (i.e. will tacit consent apply)?

You cannot start trading until your application is processed by the Council and you have received a licence. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us.

How long does my registration last?

The licence is valid from 1 January to the 31 December.

Renewal of a licence

If you already hold a licence and it is due for renewal we will write to you informing you that the licence is due to be renewed asking you to complete a licence renewal form and submit payment. This can be done using either the form that we will send you or by downloading the form from this page and send it to us completed. The onus is on the person running the business to ensure that they have a current licence.

Notify us of any changes

If you wish to simply inform us of changes in circumstance such as address, business name, opening hours etc. Please contact us using the details below.

Is there a public register available?

The legislation does not require a public register to be kept of Pet Shops. If you do not know if an premises is licensed as a Pet Shop, please contact us.

How do I complain about a local business?

We will investigate complaints of poor animal welfare or conditions in a commercial business within the Borough.

If you have a general concern about the welfare of an animal, and want to complain about a business in Dudley Borough, please can use the Animal Welfare Advice and Complaints form.

Alternatively you can report the matter directly to the RSPCA.

Offences and Penalties

The following offences and penalties apply to the pet shops.

  • Any person found guilty of keeping a pet shop without a licence may be subject to a fine not exceeding £500 or to three months imprisonment or both
  • Any person found guilty of failing to comply with their licence conditions may be subject to a fine not exceeding £500 or to three months imprisonment or both
  • Any person found guilty of obstructing or delaying an Inspector, or authorised Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinary Practitioner in the exercising of their powers of entry may be fined up to a maximum of £500
  • If found guilty under this Act, the defendant's licence may be cancelled and they may be disqualified from keeping a pet shop for such length of time as the Court thinks fit.


Your Right of Appeal

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any conditions to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates Court and they may give such directions regarding the licence or its conditions as they think proper.

Trade associations

Pet Care Trust (PCT)
Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association (OATA)

Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Further information

If you would like further advice about the standards or practices within a local business please use the Animal Welfare Advice and Complaints form.

Fee Information

Useful Links

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health, People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ

Telephone 0300 555 2345 Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, closed weekends and Bank Holidays

General Advice and Complaints Form