Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Electrolysis Registration

What is electrolysis?

In terms of cosmetic treatment, electrolysis (or electrology in American English) is the process of permanent hair removal using electric currents.

Who needs to be registered?

Registration is required for anyone wishing to run premises for the business of electrolysis. You must ensure you are able to comply with the requirements of the Byelaws (see below) and will need to prominently display both a copy of your registration certificate and the byelaws at your premises. It is an offence to carry out the business of Electrolysis without being registered with the Local Authority.

How much does registration cost?

There is a one-off premises registration fee for businesses to register a first person and the premises to carry out the activity of electrolysis. Additional persons are charged at a reduced rate. The registration fees normally changes annually so for this year's fee please view the fee information. If you move premises, you will also be required to re-register yourself and your premises.

Can my registration be refused?

No, your registration cannot be refused by the Council; however you may be subject to enforcement action if you do not comply with the necessary standards laid out by law and in the Council's bylaws (see below).

How long does my registration last?

The registration lasts as long as the business proprietor or operation of the business does not change. If a new person takes over the business or the premises changes, then you will need to re-register. Please contact us if you are no longer running the business using the contact details below.

How can I apply?

You can apply by any of the following means:

  • You can send us a completed and signed application form and we will call you for payment by debit or credit card over the phone.

  • You can send us a completed and signed application form together with a cheque for the correct amount.

  • Contact us using the details at the bottom of this page and we will send you an application form.


How long will my application take to process?

We aim to process your application within 21 days. We will confirm for all electronic applications via email that we have received your application. Please contact us if you have any queries about the process us.

Can I start trading before receiving my registration certificate (i.e. will tacit consent apply)?

No. You cannot start trading until your application is processed by the Council and you have received a certificate to display in your premises. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 21 days, please contact us.

Is there a public register available?

The legislation does not require a public register to be kept of registered premises carrying out electrolysis, however we are working on making one available online. However, each registered premises must display a registration certificate in a prominent place. If you do not know if a premises is carrying out electrolysis is registered, please contact us.

How do I complain about a local business?

If you are concerned about the standards or practices within a local business or are concerned that they do not appear to be registered please use the Cosmetic/Beauty Business Advice and Complaints form.

If enforcement action has been taken against my business, how do I appeal against it?

For further information, please see our Enforcement web page.

If I am not satisfied with the service I have received from the Council about a registration, how do I complain?

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Where can I get further information?

If you would like further advice about the standards or practices within a local business please use the Cosmetic/Beauty Business Advice and Complaints form.

Fee Information

Useful Links

Contact Details

  • Name Environmental Safety and Health
  • Address People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345
  • Opening Hours Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, Please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays

For more Enquiries please use our Form below.