Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

The Purpose Of A Skip Licence

Licences are required so that applications for skips to be placed on the public highway comply with the requirements of legislation. Licences are required to ensure the skips are not placed so as to block access to property or apparatus within the highway, reduce highway widths to an unacceptable extent or to restrict visibility at junctions, accesses and crossing points.

Eligibility Criteria

Skip Licences are issued only to recognised skip companies. This ensures skips are adequately maintained, showing the details of the owner of the skip should an emergency occur.

Any company wishing to place a skip within the highway must provide documentary evidence of the appropriate level of public liability insurance (currently £5m) at the time that they apply for the Skip Licence.


The requirements are laid out in the Highways Act 1980: section 139 road traffic regulations act, 1984.

Issuing Skip Licence

Requests for skip licences should be made by the skip hire company (not the customer) and the licence, subject to approval, will be issued to the skip hire company.

Skips on the highway must be properly maintained, clean and guarded during the day by traffic cones and fitted with lamps during the hours of darkness. Skips must be removed from the highway not later than two days after it has been filled or upon expiry of the licence.

Application Evaluation Process

When a complete application has been received we may carry out an inspection of the proposed skip location in order to decide whether to grant permission. Where the placing of a skip on the highway would cause traffic disruption, the Council may refuse the application.

The Council will check the application against the register of Street works. Where placing the skip would interfere with any street works being carried out, the Council will negotiate for the skip to be placed on different dates or a different location. The Council may refuse the application where no alternative date or location can be found.

How can I apply?

Please download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form first from the options below. Once done, submit your completed application form and other relevant documentation using the online form.

How long will my application take to process?

We aim to process your application as soon as possible. Up to 5 days is required to issue a skip permit. We will confirm that we have received your application.

Can I place my skip on the highway before my licence is granted (i.e. will tacit consent apply)?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How much does it cost?

The individual skip companies set the charges for skips. The charges for disposal of the contents of the skip to a suitable licensed tip are set by Central Government.

The Council has set a charge to cover the costs involved in the issuing of skip licences. The application fees normally changes annually so for this year's fee please view the fee information.

What Do I Do Now?

Contact a skip company who will arrange for the licence to be issued.

Your Rights of Appeal

Any person aggrieved by a decision of the local authority may appeal to the Magistrates Court and the Courts may give such direction as it thinks proper.

Complaint Regarding a Skip on the Highway

Any complaints about the location or safety of a skip on the public highway should be reported instantly using the contact details below and one of our inspectors will go to the site to assess the safety and this will be dealt with accordingly.

Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Trade Associations

Where can I get further information?

For further information please contact us using the details below.


Fee Information

Related Information

Contact Details

Highways Maintenance, Environmental Management, Directorate of the Urban Environment, Lister Road Depot, Lister Road, Dudley, West Midlands, DY2 8JW

Telephone 0300 555 2345 

General Contact Form

Street Maintenance Report Form