Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control - Part A2 Activities

This regime is known as Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control, LA-IPPC.

Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control aims to make sure that particular industries consider the environment as a whole. LA-IPPC is designed to look at many environmental impacts and to control air, land and water pollution from A1 and A2 activities. The industries concerned are required to assess their use of resources including energy and their generation of waste with a view to the best environmental option.

A1 Activities

The Environmental Agency regulates A1 activities, which concern more polluting and complex industries, e.g. power stations. Enquiries about A1 activities should be made to the Environment Agency.

A2 Activities

We undertake the inspection and regulation of all Part A2 Activities within the Borough. These installations have the potential to cause pollution to air, land and water. In Dudley these activities include large foundries and brick manufacturers. The Part A2 activities regime is known as Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC). Part A2 activities are regulated by local authorities who will inspect installation to ensure that it is complying with the conditions of the environmental permit.

Who needs a permit?

Anyone operating an activity that falls into the Part A2 category described above must submit an application, with the appropriate fee, to us. We must then determine the permit in accordance with government guidance. If you wish to find out which activities require a permit, these can be found in part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting regulations 2010.

How Much Will It Cost?

The costs incurred in obtaining and retaining an environmental permit are not straightforward.

LA-IPPC (Part A2) Fees

These change according to, for example, legislative changes and inflation. There are charges for:

  • applications for permits

  • retaining a permit (these are called subsistence fees)

  • making major changes to the facility (these are called substantial changes).

Eligibility Criteria

Only a person who has control over the operation of a regulated facility may obtain or hold an Environmental Permit. This person is the “operator”. A permit application may be made by an agent on behalf of the operator.

How do I apply?

Please download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form first from the options below. Once done, submit your completed application form and other relevant documentation

This service requires an online payment; you will be taken to the secure payment facility upon submission of this form.

Application Evaluation Process

Pre- application discussions between operators and regulators can help in improving the quality of the formal permit application and are therefore encouraged.

The permit application must be made on the form provided, it must include all of the information required by the form and it must be accompanied by the relevant fee.

If the application is correctly made & includes the relevant fee it will be “duly made” which means it has been accepted by the Council.

The permit application will not be duly made if for instance;

  • It has not been submitted on the correct form,

  • It does not adequately address a key point in the application,

  • The relevant fee does not accompany the permit application.

We aim to decide whether an application has been duly made within 10 working days of receipt.

How long will my application take to process?

A local authority should determine an application for an A2 installation within 4 months of the application being duly made.

This time period of 4 months does not include any time taken for the request for additional information.

We will confirm that we have received your application. Please contact us if you have any queries using the details below.

Can I start to operate a permitted process without a permit being issued? (i.e. will tacit consent apply)

No. It is illegal to operate a permitted process without a permit being issued.

No new installation or substantial change to an existing installation may be operated without a permit or variation. It is an offence under EP regulation 38(1)(a) to operate a regulated facility without a permit and to the extent authorised by that permit.

The charging scheme for fees specifies a higher than normal fee for applications made where an operator has been operating a listed activity unlawfully without a permit.

In the event that new categories of activity are subsequently added by future amendments to the EP Regulations, those amendment Regulations will include deadlines by which applications must be made for new and existing installations.

Your Right of Appeal

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a permit or by any condition to which a permit is subject may appeal to the Planning Inspectorate who may give such directions regarding the permit or its conditions as it thinks proper.

Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Trade Associations

It is advisable to contact your trade association for advice about completing the permit application form and methodology for compliance with the legislation.

Where can I get further information?

Please visit the DEFRA website for further information.

Fee Information

Useful Links

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health, People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ

Telephone 0300 555 2345

Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, offices closed weekends and Bank Holidays

General Advice and Complaints Form