Friends Against Scams is a National Trading Standards Scams Team initiative which aims to protect and prevent people from becoming victims of scams by empowering communities to ‘Take a Stand Against Scams’. With increased knowledge and awareness, people can make scams part of everyday conversation with their family, friends and neighbours, which will enable them to protect themselves and others from scams.
If you simply want to learn more about Scams you can complete the ‘friends against Scams’ online learning. It is an excellent introduction to scams to increase your awareness of this type of crime, takes just 20 minutes and is available to all Dudley residents.
Please note you will need to register and activation takes 24 hours. Please follow the instructions to register.
Join Dudley Scams Unit in the fight against scams, and become a Friend today
Five key points about scams
- 53% of people aged 65+ have been targeted by scams and criminals. (Action Fraud)
- Scams cost the UK roughly £5-10 billion each year. (Annual Fraud Indicator)
- Anyone can be a scam victim, regardless of age, gender, education or economic background.
- Scam victims might not always admit (or be aware) that they are a victim of a scam. Only 5% of victims report the crime. (Age UK 2015)
- Scams are the product of organised, predatory criminals who gain trust to exploit and steal money.
- Are you, or someone you know, inundated with scam mail?
- Are you tempted to respond to it?
- Do you want to help track down the criminals behind scams and help put a stop to their activities?
If you answered yes to any of the above then why not become a Scam Marshal