Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Children's Social Care Complaints and Compliments

We Want To Hear from You

We want to hear from you if you have a complaint or compliment about the services provided by Dudley Children Social Care Services.

Comments: we welcome your suggestions and ideas about our services.

Compliments: tell us when you think we have done something well, because this also helps us to learn and deliver a better service.

Complaints: we want to provide a good quality service to you but if you feel that we have done something wrong we would like you to tell us so that we can try to put things right for you where we can.

The Social Care Complaints Team

The Complaints Team has the responsibility for the day to day operation of the Children’s Social Care complaint procedures. A member of the team would be happy to talk to you – just give us a call on 01384 812417 / 814724. If you need some help communicating with us because English is not your first language, we can arrange help with translation and interpreting. We can also help with British Sign Language, and using alternative formats such as Braille.

The Complaints Procedure

The complaints procedure is contained at the bottom of the page; it is a lengthy document and therefore we have also attached a short summary of the Guidance you will need to follow. When you make a complaint we will need your name and contact details and just a brief description of your complaint, together with details of the service you are complaining about. You can complain on behalf of somebody else, but we may need to check and ensure that you have their permission.

You may have a complaint or wish to comment about any of the following:-

  • The services that we offer / provide

  • The service that you receive

  • How helpful our services are

  • Changes to Services

We will:-

  • Listen to what you have to say

  • Respond to you promptly

  • Ensure that you receive a written response to the issues that you raise

  • Provide advice and information about how you can ask for the complaint to be looked into further should you wish to.

You can Contact us

In Writing to the Complaints Team, Dudley MBC, The Council House, Priory Road, Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 1HF.

Telephone the Complaints Team on 01384 812417 / 814724

Email the Complaints Team at

Online: Complete our online form.

Complaint Leaflet please send your completed complaint leaflet to the Complaints Team at the address above.

Help you might need, A Child or young person making a complaint about the service they receive will be offered the assistance of an Advocate to help them with the complaint. The Quality & Complaints Team will provide further details at the time of the complaint being made and assist in obtaining an advocate if requested.

Consent to look at records, In order to look into your complaint we may need to look at your records held by Children Services, we may need to ask your permission to do this. If what you tell us appears to be about a crime or a child protection issue we cannot keep that secret – but we can make sure that we tell the right people who can help you.

This is how our complaints procedure works

First of all try to talk the problem over with someone you trust such as your Social Worker, Advocate, Foster Carer, or ask to speak to the manager of the service if they are available. Explain to them why you are not happy and what you would like them to do to assist you. This gives them the chance to put things right if they are able to, before you need to make a complaint.

Complaints at Stage One -

The Manager of the service may need to look into what has happened. You have the right to ask for this, and we aim to respond to you in writing within ten working days, up to twenty days with your knowledge/approval.

Complaints at Stage Two- Making it "formal"

If you are not happy with the outcome at Stage 1 then the Complaints Team will be pleased to talk with you about how you could take the complaint to Stage 2, this could involve a complaint investigation which means that you will receive a written report, and a formal response from a senior manager. We aim to complete our investigations within 25 working days, but this may be extended to a maximum of 65 working days with your agreement if this is a complex complaint.

Complaints at Stage Three- Independent Review

If you are unhappy with the outcome at Stage 2, you can ask for an Independent Review Panel. Three independent people will review the investigation, meet with you to hear what you have to say, and decide if:

  • the investigation process was carried out fairly

  • the conclusions were reasonable

  • And, whether any more can be done to resolve the complaints

Please see bottom of page for copy of:

  • Children Complaints Procedure

  • Summary of the procedure

  • Annual Reports