New residential developments must include appropriate provision for the storage and collection of household waste and recycling.
Designers and developers should consider the following:
- It may be more appropriate to collect from multiple flats using communal wheelie bins, rather than issuing each flat with an individual recycling box.
- Dudley council is unable to collect 'mixed recycling' contained within one bin. Where communal bin rooms are proposed, sufficient room should be allowed for a multi-bin recycling system.
- Un-recyclable bagged waste will not be collected from communal bin rooms, unless the waste is contained within appropriate bins
- Bins need to be safely manoeuvred to the point of emptying (this may require dropped kerbs)
- Noise (particularly where glass is being recycled)
- Lockable bin areas (to prevent inappropriate use such as fly-tipping)
- Fire safety
It is essential for architects, planners, and developers to consult with us regarding appropriate arrangements at an early stage. Further guidance is provided in the attached PDF.