Skip to main content

Garden waste service

Subscriptions for our new garden waste collection service are now available. Visit our garden waste page for further information.

Find out exactly what happens to the plastics you pop in your recycling bag and why we ask residents to separate their recyclables

Unlike authorities who choose to mix their recycling, we ask you to separate your recycling at the kerbside. This makes it a far more valuable resource for recycling as we avoid high levels of contamination. This often results in materials being rejected at processing plants.

With your help to separate the waste, we know the materials we collect from you can be recycled and fully processed. You are helping us achieve greater results and most importantly contributing to a better standard of recycled materials.

With plastic we are able to collect PET (polyethylene terephthalate) such as soft drink bottles and vegetable oil bottles. And we can also collect HDPE (high density polyethylene) such as milk bottles and cleansing product bottles. The plastics are all taken to our Blowers Green depot, where they are collected by contractors for reprocessing.

In 2018/19 all HDPE plastics are reprocessed within the UK and 89 percent of the PET plastics we recycle are reprocessed in the UK. The remaining 11 percent went to Turkey, Germany or Holland for reprocessing.

We would love for all of our PET plastics to be reprocessed in this country, but at the moment there aren’t enough recycling plants to meet the demand.

We hope this gives you a better understanding of why we do what we do in Dudley.

How can we cut down the use of single use plastics?

Whenever you go shopping take a bag with you

Consider keeping a bag for life or a foldable shopping bag with you. You’ll be saving money by reusing it.

Make use of reusable coffee cups

This is a good idea as many cafes and coffee shops are offering small discounts. So it’s good for both the environment and your pocket.

Use reusable water bottles whenever you get the chance

You can download an app to find your free local refill station.

Foil is far more efficient than cling film and can be recycled

A new alternative is Beeswax wraps which keep your food fresh and are reusable.

Avoid excessive food packing when purchasing items

Many manufacturers are reducing their packaging but it is always useful to keep your eyes peeled for better options. Farmers markets, markets and fresh fruit/veg counters are a good option.

Get your milk delivered to your home in glass bottles

Many milk rounds now offer many other foods and drinks to aid with convenience for customers.

If you are a tea drinker consider buying loose tea

Tea bags contain micro plastics within their sealant.  If you want to continue with tea bags, biodegradable ones are a good option

Zero food waste shops

Zero food waste shops are on the increase and give you the opportunity to use your own containers to buy food. Pre-packaged items are usually in an environmental friendly packaging.

Keep a spoon/fork or spork in your bag and desk

Food outlets often hand out plastic disposable cutlery when you purchase a takeaway, which we all usually throw away.

Reduce the use of sauce sachets

Ask for bottles or jars of condiments rather than sachets.

If you enjoy wine, consider purchasing bottles with a cork

Corks are easy to recycle and better for the environment.