Skip to main content

Energy Bills rebate

More information on the £150 energy bills rebate

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

A direct payment is a payment, paid directly to you, your family or carers by us, to purchase your own care and support. Direct payments give you more choice and control over how support services are provided.

Independent support and advice can be provided from the direct payment providers such as People Plus.

These Direct payments should not be confused with direct payments for benefit, which are paid via the Department of Work and Pensions.

Why direct payments?

Direct payments give you more choice and control over how support services are provided. 

Direct payments - Adults

If you have been assessed by the Adult Social Care team as eligible for support and are receiving a personal budget you can choose to take this as direct payments.
If you are awarded Direct Payments you will need to be able to manage the Direct Payment alone or with help from friends or relatives.

There is a Guide to Direct Payments in the download documents below.  Alternatively an easy read guide to Direct Payments is available from Public Health England. This is particularly useful for people who have learning disabilities, who can use this to find out more about how direct payments should be used and the changes during the coronavirus pandemic. 

Direct payments - Families/Carers

If you have been assessed by the Children with disabilities team as being in need of support services you may be entitled to receive Direct payments.

You may qualify if you are:

  • aged over 16 and have a physical, sensory or learning disability or mental health problem
  • a parent, carer or guardian of a child with a disability
  • a carer aged over 16 years

Direct payments - Advice and guidance for people during the Coronavirus crisis

Please view the latest government advice and guidance on Direct Payments during the Coronavirus outbreak.


Looking for a 'P.A' ?

If you are looking to recruit a Personal Assistant (PA) or for further information on direct payments please visit our Dudley Community Information Directory.  

If you employ your own care and support staff, you can apply to Skills for Care to get money for training for you and your personal assistant - this is called individual employer funding.

Adult and Children's Safeguarding training

Is available online to everyone receiving direct payments and their PA's. Please see documents below.