Skip to main content

Household support fund

Applications for the household support fund are now paused. Please come back and check this website for when the scheme will re-open.

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

All parents and carers must ensure provision of suitable education for their children. Most parents/carers choose to educate their children at school however some people choose to teach their child at home, this is known as elective home education (EHE).

The Education Act 1996 Section 7 states that:

the parent of a child who is of compulsory school age has a legal duty to see that their child receives efficient full-time education, suitable to their age, ability and aptitude, and to any special education needs they may have, either by regular attendance at school or otherwise

It gives parents the right to educate their children "otherwise" than at school.

Being a home educator is a big decision, we advise you think about why you are considering home education, what it will involve, the costs, time commitment, and if you have the energy and ability to provide the appropriate support, motivation and resources for your child, or if you intend to employ a tutor/teacher. 

We also recommend that you speak to one of our education officers, the school, and your child. If it is that you are having problems with your child's school, teachers or you are considering home education in reaction to a particular situation such as bullying we recommend you speak to the school, school's governing body or education officer and try to fix any problems.  Often problems can be resolved in other ways and schools have many professionals on hand to help. 

Further information

For further information contact Dudley Council Plus.