Skip to main content

Important Planning Update

From 1 July 2024 we will no longer be sending neighbour notification letters advising of planning applications made on, adjacent or near your property. To make sure you don't miss anything, please sign up for My Alerts.


Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

There are various stages throughout the building process when you will need to ask Building Control to carry out inspections

There are various stages throughout the building process when you will need to ask us to carry out inspections before covering up stages of work. This is applicable to both Full Plans and Building Notice routes and is a legal requirement. The stages are listed below.

  1. Commencement of Work - requires 48 hours notice
  2. Excavations and foundations
  3. Concrete foundation laid
  4. Oversite concrete
  5. Damp proof course
  6. Drains ready for inspection
  7. Drains covered, completion of building work
  8. Completion of works - requires not more than 5 days afterwards

It is normal practice to notify us in writing for commencement of work. Other statutory inspections must be notified by phone or in writing.

In calculating the number of days due, allowance must be made for weekends and Public Holidays, or day appointed for public Thanksgiving or mourning.

Completion Certificate

Once the work is successfully completed the Council will issue you with a Completion Certificate provided that a request was made at the time of submitting the application.

Regulation 17(4) - A certificate given in accordance with this regulation shall be evidence (but not conclusive evidence) that the requirements specified in the certificate have been complied with.

How to book a site inspection

Please note: The submission of this form does not constitute confirmation that an inspection will be possible on the requested date.

If I am not satisfied with the service I have received from the Council, how do I complain?

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your inspection, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.