Skip to main content

Energy Bills rebate

More information on the £150 energy bills rebate

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Planning restrictions - operating a business from your home

If you intend to work from home you will require planning permission to do so if the overall character of your house changes from the primary and predominant use as a dwelling house. Instances where this would occur include a use that attracts a marked rise in traffic or people calling, a use that involves activities unusual in a residential area or a use that could disturb your neighbours.

However, many businesses can exist invisibly within houses or in outbuildings in the garden without any formal change of use occurring in planning terms. More information on working from home is provided in the Department of Communities and Local Government booklet;

Is permission required to convert my domestic garage to living accommodation?

Under normal circumstances you do not need planning consent to convert an attached garage into a room unless;

  • A condition imposed on the planning permission under which your house was built specifically required the garage to remain available for the parking of a motor vehicle

  • A condition on the planning permission under which your house was built or an Article 4 Direction has removed your permitted development rights

  • Any external works (e.g. fitting a bay window in place of the garage door) would bring the resultant building closer to the highway than the existing building and the resulting building is less than 20m from the back of the highway.

Converting a detached garage

Planning permission may be needed to convert a detached garage to living accommodation. Please contact us to check.

Building regulation consent is normally needed to convert a garage.

Hardstandings and Vehicle Crossing/Dropped Kerbs

Planning permission is not normally required to construct a hardstanding or drive in a garden, however if a vehicles/footpath crossing is required to a classified road then planning permission will be required.

In all cases the council of this Directorate will have to be contacted to arrange for the construction of a Vehicle Crossing (dropped kerb) to be carried out. A charge is made for this service.

Council Tenants Working from home

The council wants to encourage tenants with business ideas and has therefore drawn up guidelines for tenants who are thinking of running a business from their home.

The guidelines clarify what conditions tenants must satisfy in order to run a business from their council property.