Skip to main content

The applicant has a right of appeal to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (which is administered by The Planning Inspectorate) if:

  • No decision has been reached on the application within the statutory determination period

  • Planning permission is returned

  • The applicant does not agree with one or more of the conditions on an approval.

  • Advertisement consent is refused

  • Application for works to a protected tree is refused. Please visit the Tree Preservation Orders web pages for further information.

  • an enforcement notice has served (before it takes effect)

It's always advisable to talk to a planning officer first to find out if there is scope to negotiate a compromise and submit an amended application. Pursuing an appeal is usually time consuming and, depending on which method of appeal you choose, can be expensive and should therefore be considered as a last resort, when all else has failed.

It's not possible for anyone other than the applicant to appeal to the Secretary of State if they are not satisfied with a particular decision.