Skip to main content

Getting married or forming a civil partnership abroad

If you are choosing to marry or register a civil partnership abroad contact the country’s embassy in the UK, which will tell you which documents you need. Many countries ask for a 'certificate of no impediment' issued by your local register office showing that you are free to marry or register a civil partnership. For some countries it is not possible to issue this certificate and they may require alternate evidence such as an affidavit.

There is no provision in The Consular Marriages and Marriages under Foreign Law (No. 2) Order 2014 for a Certificate of No Impediment to be issued to anyone who wishes to be married in a country or territory outside the United Kingdom which is not included in Schedule 3 to the British Nationality Act 1981 (IE. Commonwealth countries and territories).

If you are living abroad you will need to contact the British Embassy or Consulate located in the country where you reside.

If you marry or form a civil partnership abroad, you cannot register an overseas marriage or civil partnership in the UK. It will usually be recognised as a legal marriage in the UK if it is valid in the country where the marriage took place.

Contact Us

Please note our lines are quieter in the afternoon.