Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

In the aftermath of the Foot and Mouth outbreak a rigorous regime of licensing which controls the movement of a range of animals has been introduced. The most common animals whose movements have to be licensed are sheep, pigs and cows.

The conditions which apply to these movements vary according to the type of animal, the destination and the type of trip. In addition, these conditions are constantly being altered and so it is important that you make yourself aware of the latest conditions when applying for a movement licence.

In certain conditions all that is necessary is for you to complete the licence and forward the copies as laid down. The licences can be obtained from your local DEFRA (Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs) office.

All the information regarding the conditions are available on the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs site.

Transport of Live Animals

Large numbers of animals are transported from farms, poultry rearing establishments, and other similar locations, to markets, slaughterhouses and ports.

Dudley Council will take appropriate action with regard to the laws which control these activities to ensure that the animals are properly watered, are not overcrowded, are fit to travel and travel in vehicles which are suitable for such use, encouraging those in charge of animals during transportation to be appropriately trained and knowledgeable of each species.

To achieve these objects, the Council will as necessary act in liaison with other local authorities, relevant government departments and duly authorised enforcement agencies, in relation to animals being transported within the area.

Useful Links

External Links

Contact Details

  • Name Environmental Safety and Health
  • Address People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345