Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Sports Grounds Stand Safety Certificate

The safety of spectators who visit sports grounds for sporting or other events is governed by the requirements of the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 and the Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sports Act 1987.

Safety certificates cover the physical condition of sports grounds and the safety management provision. A safe capacity is determined for each facility.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a general safety certificate, you must be the person responsible for:

  • the management of the ground; or
  • the activity to be viewed from the stand on that occasion.

Regulation Summary

Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sport Act 1987

Designated grounds - safety certificate

Under the Safety at Sports Ground Act 1975 a safety certificate is required for any stadium (regardless of its capacity) where league football (Premiership or Championship, League One or League Two) matches are to be played.

Such grounds are defined under the legislation as "designated grounds". Designated Ground Safety Certificates deal with safety aspects relating to the entire ground.

There are no Designated Grounds in the borough of Dudley.

Regulated stand - safety certificate

The Fire Safety and Places of Sport Act 1987 requires that football and other sports grounds that do not meet the criteria of a 'designated ground', but have covered accommodation for more than 500 people, obtain a 'regulated stand certificate' in respect of such accommodation.

Stadia with a capacity of over 10,000 or Stands with a capacity of over 500 people are defined under the legislation as "regulated stands" and will require a safety certificate.

Regulated Stand Certificates only relate to the safety of the stand and to the means of access and egress from it.

Public Register of Sports Grounds Stand Safety Certificates

There are the following Regulated stands in the borough of Dudley:

  • Halesowen Town Football Club, 9 Old Hawne Lane, Halesowen, West Midlands, B63 3ST

  • Lye Town Football Club, 55 Stourbridge Road, Lye, West Midlands, DY9 7DH

  • Stourbridge Football Club, 86 High Street, Amblecote, West Midlands, DY8 4HN

How much does it cost?

The reasonable costs of the local authority incurred in production of the safety certificate will be charged to the applicant. A separate application form an change is required for each regulated stand at a sports ground (although any certificate issued may cover all such stands). The application fees normally change annually so for this year's fee please see the fees information.

Applying for a safety certificate

The process of granting a safety certificate is complex and will take a significant period of time depending on the size and complexity of the sports ground in question. Before any certificate is issued a consultation process is undertaken and the views of residents and potential spectators are considered.

A scale plan of the sports ground and of the relevant stands should accompany the application. However, under Section 28(11) of the 1987Act, the Local Authority may require you to provide further information and plans of the ground.

How do I apply?

When completing the online form you will need to upload:

  • the completed application
  • scale plan of the sports ground
  • scale plan of the relevant stand

How long will my application take to process?

We aim to process your application as soon as possible. We will confirm that we have received your application. Please contact us if you have any queries using the details below.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit Consent will apply. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Dudley Council by the end of the target period.

Please note Tacit Consent will only apply once a full application has been submitted and you have received an acknowledgment from Dudley Council.

Your Right of Appeal

A Sports ground operator may appeal against a decision through the Magistrates Court and the Courts may give such directions as it thinks proper.

Trade Associations

Federation of Sports and Play Associations (FSPA)

Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Fee Information

Useful Information

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health, People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ

Telephone 0300 555 2345

Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, closed weekends and Bank Holidays

General Advice and Complaints Form