Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Information about House to House collection Permits

A permit is required principally for door to door charitable collections, either made with collecting tins or by returning to collect a previously posted envelope. It will also cover collections of money made on a "pub crawl" and for example collections of tin foods for redistribution or "jumble" for charity sales. As with the street collection permits there are returns to be made to the Council within a stipulated time and an account sheet is included with the Permit when an application is granted to be returned after the House to House collection period is completed.

Whereas street collection permits are normally issued to cover a period of one or two days, a house to house collection permit can be granted for any period up to one year. With regard to vetting and checking to ascertain whether the organisation applying is genuine or not, the same procedures apply as for street collections.

Do I need to apply for a Permit?

Unless a 'Cabinet Office Exemption Order' has been granted most of the smaller, and particularly local groups and organisations need a permit before they can collect money (or articles which they intend to sell later), from door to door, (House to House). Please check with the Licensing Office (contact details below) before making any collections.


A permit is required to undertake a 'house to house' collection, under the House to House Collections Act 1939. A copy of the Regulations will be attached to the Permit when the application is granted.

In order to prevent the indiscriminate printing of collectors’ prescribed badges and forms of prescribed Certificates of Authority, and the consequent danger of imposture, the Regulations made under the above Act provide that licence-holders must obtain such forms from H M Stationery Office. Badges must be worn by collectors and returned to the organiser at the end of the collection period.

How to apply

Apply Online by using the Service Request Form link in the Contact Details box below.

The application form is also available to download from the foot of this page or from the Licensing Office, if you wish to apply by post.

Please submit the following documents with your application

  • letter of authority to collect from the charity or organisation on whose behalf the collection is to be made

  • the latest audited accounts for the charity or organisation

  • If you are a company collecting on the Charity's behalf we require a copy of the company's latest audited accounts in addition to a copy of the Charity's latest audited accounts

  • any brochure, pamphlet, handbook or other publications of the organisation or charity describing its objects and activities

  • we also require an example of the charity collection bag or leaflet that will be used during the collection period

Failure to submit any of the above documents may result in a delay and possible refusal of your application

For more information about House to House permits, the Regulations or to discuss your application, please contact the Licensing Office using the Contact Details box below.


There is no cost for the issuing of consent but there are rules to be followed, which are attached to the Licence when it is granted. This includes the following:-

The Chief Promoter for a collection shall exercise all due diligence to secure that all forms and prescribed Certificates of Authority and prescribed badges obtained by him for the purposes of the collection are destroyed when no longer required in connection with that collection or in connection with a further collection which he has been authorised to promote for the same purpose.

Right of Appeal

Unlike street collections, there is a statutory right of appeal against the refusal to grant a house to house collection permit. In this case, the right of appeal is to the Secretary of State, and the grounds for refusal are set out in the Act itself.

One of the key grounds for refusal would be where the total amount likely to be applied for charitable purpose as a result of the collection, is inadequate in proportion to the value of the proceeds likely to be received. So, for instance, where an applicant intends to claim a fair proportion of the proceeds of the collection for expenses, a permit could be refused. There is no statutory guidance to local authorities on what would be a reasonable amount for expenses.

What happens if my Licence Circumstances change?

Please notify the Licensing Office immediately using the Contact Details box below.

Contacting the Licensing Office

Please note that the Licensing office moved in July 2014 and the new address is :-

address: Licensing Team, Unit 1, Hurst Business Park, Narrow Boat Way, Brierley Hill, DY5 1UF

telephone: 01384 815101 or 01384 815377

fax 01384 812630

General Contact Form

The office is open from 8.00am to 4.00pm daily. Applicants are seen by appointment only.

Please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays.

Disabled users of our service, please note that if possible could you contact us to make an appointment before visiting our offices, to enable us to meet your needs.