Skip to main content

Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

There are many national initiatives and organisations that are offering advice and support, here are just a few

Help to Save

Help to Save gives those claiming universal credit or working tax credit a savings boost. The scheme pays a 50% bonus on savings. This means an extra 50p for every £1 saved.

Household Support Fund

We’ve been given government funding as part of the Household Support Fund. Find out how it could help you here:

Help for Households

Countries around the world are facing rising goods and energy prices, inflation and cost of living pressures.

We know people are worried so the government is offering help for households. See what cost of living support you could be eligible for.

Help for households highlight a range of support that is available.


Citizens Advice

There may be grants available to you from your energy supplier. The grants are run by energy companies, but you don’t necessarily need to be a customer to apply. To find out more, visit Citizens Advice.

Charis Grants

Visit Charis Grants for a number of schemes that may be able to provide funding help for energy and appliances.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant.

You usually qualify for the grant if both of the following apply:

  • You’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already
  • You or your partner already get certain benefits

You must claim the grant within 11 weeks of the baby’s due date or within 6 months after the baby’s birth.

You do not have to pay the grant back and it will not affect your other benefits or tax credits

Energy Bill Support Scheme

Alternative Funding

Alternative funding is available for households who were not eligible for the government’s Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS). This provided a £400 reduction on electricity and gas bills.

This alternative funding supports those who live in households without a domestic electricity meter or do not have a direct relationship with an energy supplier.

You may be eligible to apply if your main home is:

  • A residential park home.
  • On a boat on a permanent residential mooring.
  • On a permanent Gypsy and Traveller site.
  • Part of a heat network without an electricity meter.
  • In social or private rented accommodation which has a business energy connection or a communal electricity supply.
  • Off the mains electricity or gas grid.
  • In a care home or assisted living facility and you pay for some or all of your care (directly or through loss of pension or other benefits).
  • In a separate domestic home within a non-domestic property (such as a farmhouse or a flat above a shop).

You do not need to apply if you or your landlord:

  • Have a domestic energy meter.
  • Pay bills directly to an energy supplier (such as British Gas or EDF).
  • Have already received payments from the Energy Bills Support Scheme.

To find out more search 'Apply for energy bill support' into the search bar on GOV.​UK or an internet search engine, or contact the GOV.UK helpline team.

Alternative Fuels Payment

The Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) scheme launched on 6 February. It provides support for households across Great Britain who don’t use mains gas. Those who are eligible will receive £200 towards their energy bills.

Most people will get this £200 payment automatically. It will appear as credit on your electricity bill.

However some customers will need to apply for support later this month. The application process will open later in March.

Please note: any direct request for your bank details from any individual or organisation is very likely a scam. These should not be responded to.

  • To find out more search 'Alternative fuels payment' into the search bar on GOV.​UK or an internet search engine, or contact the GOV.UK helpline team.

Access to Work factsheet

This Government factsheet explains how Access to Work can provide practical and financial support to help you overcome barriers to starting or keeping a job if you have a disability or long term physical or mental health condition.

It explains:


Find welfare benefits and grants information that is relevant to you. Search by your situation or use the A-Z of benefits if you know the name of the benefit you want to find out about.

Money Helper

Money Helper offer free guidance and support on benefits, everyday money, family and care, homes, money troubles, pensions and retirement, savings and work.

Motability: Driving lessons

  • Are you a Motability Scheme customer?
  • Do you have a provisional licence and want to learn to drive your Motability Scheme car?
  • Or do you need familiarisation with new controls in your grant-funded vehicle?
  • And do you receive a means-tested benefit?

If you’ve answered 'yes' to these questions, then you could be eligible for a grant to help with the cost of driving lessons.