Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Customer Notice

From 19th July 2021 we will no longer provide a Local Land Charges Search Service.

After this date, our Local Land Charges Register will have migrated to H M Land Registry's National Register. You will be able to access a new digital service through Portal, Business Gateway and on H M Land Registry's GOV.UK page.

Dudley MBC will continue to provide replies to Con29 enquiries. It is important to remember to only submit the required fee for the Con29 to us following 18th July 2021. For more information please visit GOV.UK

Please see below the Privacy Notice for Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, Law and Governance, Local Land Charges

Who we are and what we do

The Local Land Charges Team maintains a property register and supplies information relating to property transactions throughout the Borough.

We deal with Local Land Charges Searches and all associated enquiries.

What type of personal information do we collect and how do we collect it?

Information is collected about Local Land Charges Searches, enquiries and associated matters.  This includes:

  • Names
  • Addresses
  • Contact details (e-mail addresses & telephone numbers)

We collect information in the following ways:

  • Direct Communication (either by telephone, in person, email or in writing)
  • Standard forms

What is our power to obtain and use the personal data?

We collect and use personal information only where it is necessary for the performance of our task in the public interest or for our official/statutory functions.

This includes functions associated with the Land Charges Act 1925 and the Infrastructure Act 2015, all subsequent legislation, statutory guidance and Regulations.

What is your personal information used for?

We collect and process information about you for the following purposes:

  • To ensure compliance with statutory duties 
  • To respond to requests for advice and information
  • To respond to Local Land Charges Searches and any associated enquiries
  • To process any complaints

How do we keep your personal information secure?

The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow policies and procedures to control and safeguard access to and use of your personal information.

Information is stored in secure systems such as Swift Search and on the Council’s secure electronic file stores.

How long will we keep your personal information?

We have document retention procedures to ensure that information is kept only to comply with legal obligations or if it is required for business purposes.
Our retention policy shows how long we information for different services. This includes:

  • Correspondence is generally retained for 2 years (or until no longer required for legal or business purposes).
  • Local Land Charges Searches to be retained electronically for 40 years.
  • Financial Information is retained for 7 years.

Who we will share your information with

We may share your personal information, as appropriate, with:

  • Officers of the Council who have an involvement in the business concerned or who are required to supply information to complete searches or other requests for information 
  • Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (in the case of complaints)
  • We may be required to share information with HM Land Registry to ensure a ‘joined up’ service in the future.

Is your personal information processed outside the European Economic Community?

We do not process personal information outside the EEC.


At no time will your information be passed to organisations external to the Council or its partners for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use without your prior express consent.

What are your Information Rights?

Your Information Rights are set out in the law. Subject to some legal exceptions, you have the right to:

  • to have any inaccuracies corrected; 
  • to have your personal data erased;
  • to place a restriction on our processing of your data;
  • to object to processing; and 
  • to request your data to be ported (data portability).

You also have the right to request a copy of the personal information the council holds about you.  To do this, you can apply online or contact the Corporate Information Governance Team 

If you wish to exercise your information rights, please contact the  Data Protection and Information Governance Manager, Dudley MBC, ICT Services, The Council House, Priory Road, Dudley DY1 1HF

You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Officer about the way in which your information is processed. The Information Commissioner can be contacted using the details below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
Fax: 01625 524 510