Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

If you believe a vehicle has been abandoned please report it to us and we will investigate as soon as possible with a view to getting it removed.

Signs of an Abandoned Vehicle

The Council must be satisfied that a vehicle is abandoned before it can be dealt with. Normally you can tell if a vehicle has been abandoned by looking for the following signs;

It may have not moved for a long time (weeks or months).

  • It is untaxed
  • It may be vandalised
  • It may be neglected and in a poor state i.e. flat tyres
  • It may be burnt out or have been damaged as part of a road traffic accident
  • It may have number plates missing
  • It may contain waste, car parts, furniture, and bags of rubbish

Untaxed Vehicles

Untaxed vehicles being kept on the public road, but not abandoned

It is an offence to use or keep on the public road a motor vehicle (registered in the UK) without a valid current vehicle licence (road tax). 

How to check if a vehicle is taxed

You can check if a vehicle is currently taxed by using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) online Vehicle enquiry service. You will need to know the registration number and make of the vehicle.

Report Untaxed vehicles being kept on the public road

Report it to the DVLA using their online form for Reporting of unlicensed vehicles on the public highway

If your vehicle has been removed the DVLA will require you to pay their charges before the vehicle is released.

Information we need to report an abandoned vehicle

When reporting a vehicle we will need the following information:

  • Registration number
  • Colour
  • Make
  • Model
  • Condition
  • Location
  • How long it has been there

How to report an abandoned vehicle

Abandoned vehicles can be reported online by the Abandoned Vehicle Report Form (below) or by contacting Dudley Council Plus.

What happens next?

An enforcement officer will visit the location within five working days of notification. If the vehicle is of low value (in a poor condition, flat tyres damaged etc.), a 24 hour notice will be attached to the vehicle, if it remains unclaimed on expiry of the notice the vehicle will be removed for destruction.

The Council will work where possible with land owners to get a vehicle removed from private land; this may include serving a 15 day legal notice on the owner or the occupier of the land.

If the vehicle is of value, and therefore should not be destroyed, the vehicle may be taken into storage and a seven day notice served on the registered keeper.

Fines and charges

Abandoning a vehicle is a criminal offence, carrying a maximum penalty on conviction of £2,500 or three months' imprisonment, or both.

You may also be liable for a Fixed Penalty Notice of £200.00.

What happens when a vehicle has been removed?

Owners of abandoned vehicles that have been removed are also liable for the costs these are specified in law under the Removal, Storage and Disposal of Vehicles (Prescribed Sums and Charges) Regulations 2008

For example for an abandoned car:

  • £150 vehicle removal
  • £20 per day storage
  • £75 disposal fee

How can I request removal of my own unwanted vehicle?

Vehicle Surrender Scheme

We operate a free of charge vehicle surrender scheme for vehicles that have reached the end of their useful life.

To qualify for the scheme you must be a Dudley resident and the vehicle must be registered to your current address. You will have to supply us with written authority to remove and destroy your vehicle along with the vehicle’s keys and V5 Vehicle Registration Document prior to its removal.

Vehicle Surrender Scheme

End of Life Vehicles

Car owners are entitled to "free take-back" of their old vehicles, known as End of Life Vehicles (ELVs).